Hexagon 2 $1.99

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Hexagon 2 $1.99

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hexagon 2 has been launced at $1.99 if you are a DAZ Platinum member.

Hexagon 2, for those people who don't know, is one of the 'new breed' of modelling programs, that allow you to do mesh displacement and paint streight onto the model.

Hexagon 2: http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp

DAZ Deal: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4222&cat=272

It costs $29.99 for the first months membership. And I don't think there is a contract. So you can cancel after the first month (after you have got hexagon).

Here is a link to the details on the Membership: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=1

Can you read through it and see if you can come to the same conclusion as me?

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#2]
Hmmm... just did all the above - and I now have DL link for the Hexagon 2 install package! After getting the "platinum monthly membership" first I got the $1.99 charge statement, so it seemed to go well.

(Note that "platinum membership" is available only to those who have credit cards - paypal cannot be used for this.)

Have to check my bank account cc charges when I get back home, if there's only 29.99 + 1.99 I'm one happy man - Hexagon seemed to have very nice UV-tools that are alone worth... well, at least 1.99! :)

Platinum monthly membership also includes 10 free 3D objects so it's good deal really...

Sign Up Bonus: Join the Platinum Club and you'll receive a coupon good for 10 items of your choice from the Platinum Bonus Pack. With many items to choose from, you can add any 10 to your shopping cart and receive them absolutely free

and you get other expensive stuff too for "platinum membership prices".

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#3]
Wow, great find! I'm-a have to check this tool out.

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well I have bought it. Waiting for the download to finish (The servers are being hit so hard its down to 3kb/s).

I will let you all know if I can cancel my account after downloading it.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#5]

Waiting for the download to finish (The servers are being hit so hard its down to 3kb/s).

Same here, measly 3kb/s... Guess we are not the only ones to take advantage of this deal :)

Monthly charge is $7.95 after the initial $29.99, but since that includes $5 voucher / month you basically pay only $3 per month... tempting, but I'm sure that it is supposed to be like that :)

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#6]
Well you can just cancel after the first payment of 29.99

well you just say not to renew in your account settings.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#7]
Allrighty, first DL didn't finish but second did and fast. I now have the soft, it's serial and it's registered.

Bloody cool looking / stylish GUI - that's all I can at this point...

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#8]
Is this like Zbrush ??

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#9]
It is, ITs not as fast as ZBrush, but can do normal poly modeling and uv mapping, which zbrush can't do.

Hambone(Posted 2006) [#10]
Got it. It's a bit buggy but, I like it a lot. Is it just me or could something like this be written in BlitzMax. Uses wxWidgets for interface and OpenGl. I would like to think a smart puppy could do something like this in BMAX faster and easier.

It is quite good and I like the interface and feature set quite a bit. For $1.99 can't go to wrong. the only better deal is Daz Studio, which is free.

Anyway, too many cool toys and not enough time, as usual.

Later

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#11]
Theres no reason you can't program a modeler in BlitzMax, or any other application. Infact there is a modeller called Quill3D which was programed in Blitz3D, and several animation tools, not to mention the classics such as Halo's level editing programs and fredborgs Gile[s] advanced lightmap generator.

MikeHart(Posted 2006) [#12]
I bought it too. For 1.99 you can't go wrong. My download is still working, I think everyone of earth bought it. LOL. I don't care if it is a little buggy, 2.0 just came out. Anyway, great deal.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#13]
Just DL'ed my 10 free 3D models (you can choose what from a selection of models) that comes as a joining bonus... got myself Hummer, Bradley and Blackhawk 3D models among others, total worth of over $100.

I also spent my monthly $5 voucher on this (after platinum member discount it was ~$5):

European Beech
Norway Spruce
Yoshino Cherry
Fig Tree
Lodgepole Pine
Staghorn Sumac
Italian Maple

(7 Species with 3 ages per species)

I bought the two other xfrog sampler tree packs as well because their "on sale" campaign price ends today. ~$8 for a $75 worth of tress wasn't bad IMO...

So... in total I spent ~$40 and got myself Hexagon 2 (worth 269.00), 10 3D models (worth over $100) and HQ tree 3D models (worth $75)... this must be one of my best buys ever.

Thanks boomboom!

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#14]
yea, i am ganna get the vechicals for my 10 free things, plug the freak. Just something to use as a modeling reference.

Cool trees. I might do the same :)

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#15]
Trees are meant for Bryce 5.5 but I'm reasonably sure that I can do the conversion even without Bryce. I got the Freak as well :)

taumel(Posted 2006) [#16]
Any experience with it so far?

a) How buggy is it on win,osx?
b) Did they say when they'll intend to release 2.1 and is it true that 2.1 will be the last version the dev-team gives support for?
c) Can it export to fbx?
d) How many licenses can you buy with one account at daz?

Regards,

taumel

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#17]
a) Its useable, but slightly buggy.
b) Yes
C) No
D) 1

taumel(Posted 2006) [#18]
Hi,

And did they say when they inted to do the bug fixing?
Can you say which formats it can export?

Thanks,

taumel

boomboom(Posted 2006) [#19]
It supports pretty much the main static model formats. OBJ, 3DS, Carerra...etc...etc. Theres no point in exporting FBX becuase it only makes model data.

There is a list on the Hex site I think.

They said they are committed to stamping out the bugs, but theres been no release about date of completion. 2.x versions are free, and you don't need to be a member of the Plat Club to get them (so you dont' need to keep your subscription to get the updates).

taumel(Posted 2006) [#20]
Thanks!

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#21]
A bit OT, but I used to like Arbaro, a free tool for modelling hi res trees... Only low down was a bit of uvmapping reordering and fixing needed (but very low in time, at least in my Ultimate Unwrap) , and the main branches were un-sewed to the trunk. BTW, I just tended to weld the vertices more visible at the main branc-trunk base....

Just in case someone's interested

arbaro.sourceforge.net

-looks like the project got a bit dead-

that version though was the one I used.

That Hexagon 2 thing caught my attention, looking at the videos...

Not interested in a new modeler though, but I'd say that one look nice.

MikeHart(Posted 2006) [#22]
b) Did they say when they'll intend to release 2.1 and is it true that 2.1 will be the last version the dev-team gives support for?

The original dev team will work on 2.1, after that it is undecided who will develop it further. Even the original team could get a contract for this.

Aoneweb(Posted 2006) [#23]
Wow, this is a cool offer, tons of free downloads after joining, I am downloading Hexagon now.

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#24]
I getted it last week. It's very good and very buggy. I hope the 2.1 version to change this.
But after this week I am back to Blender.

stayne(Posted 2006) [#25]
i got it last night. how long should i wait to cancel my platinum club membership? has anyone canceled yet?

podperson(Posted 2006) [#26]
Daz has bought Eovia. Who the heck is Daz?

My worry here is that the Hexagon dev team is gone and it will never be fixed. Silo 3D "2.0" has been coming real soon now for eons...

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#27]
I think Daz 3D are the resultant company who bought out Curious Labs - Original developers of Poser).

I have been doing business with Dax3D for 4-5 years. Their website is huge, and a little slow sometimes. They own Bryce too I believe, and have developed Daz Studio - the latest 'studio' for placing your models, lighting and rendering for high quality.

They have a massive following and have some really great free offers sometimes.

IPete2.

Hambone(Posted 2006) [#28]
Daz didn't buy out Poser. E-Frontier, japanese company and the makers of Shade bought out Poser. Daz3D is in direct competition with Poser. Daz3D are the folks who started Zygote back in the day.

I used Daz a lot. Renderosity is great to. Everyone who needs a castle really needs to look at some of the castle kits at Renderosity, they are awesome.

Allan