FishEd Map Editor

Community Forums/Developer Stations/FishEd Map Editor

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#1]
I'm in the process of Beta testing my map editor "FishEd", a 2D map creation tool written entirely in B+.

In the meantime, you can read my workblog here:

http://www.scaryfish.tv/blog.htm

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
I don't think this really belongs in the showcase...

GfK(Posted 2006) [#3]
What he said. There isn't even anything to look at on your website. Make a worklog instead.

Kuron(Posted 2006) [#4]
The screenshot for your editor looks great.

I always loved the original Citadel. I look forward to seeing this game progress.

Screenshot of editor from his site:

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#5]
Apologies - I thought the Showcase was a general area for projects and so forth. I'll give this a bump when the FishEd mini-site goes online.

In the meantime, here's a larger shot:

MrCredo(Posted 2006) [#6]
i see you was inspired by universal map editor ;-)

thalamus(Posted 2006) [#7]
Well, yes and no; I deliberately tried NOT to look too heavily at other products, mainly because it's easy to be influenced. I did, however, make a huge list of all the best features from all my favourite programs, and use that list to put together a feature list for the editor.

My biggest influence by far is PhotoShop; it inspired the use of layers, the MiniMap navigation system, and many of the drawing tools.

Mainly, FishEd is designed so that an artist can prototype their graphics extremely quickly, then throw in parallax layers and static layers and test out their map with smooth scrolling and tile animation effects to see how it would look in the game environment.