bones exporting from MAX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/bones exporting from MAX

ryan scott(Posted 2006) [#1]
i'm exporing bones/animation from max using pipeline, and when i bring them into max, I can see the bones, and they are perpendicular to my object, rather than inside him.

i am confused why this could be. i'm not rotating anything on load.

the object does not appear to be 'aligned with world' or centered on his pivot or anything inside max, should i be sure everything is aligned with world?

i would like to include a screen shot but this forum doesn't seem to have a good way to do it. :/

ICECAP(Posted 2006) [#2]
Are you using Skin or Physeque?
Skin is the only supported max bones system for the pipeline.
I seem to recall having the same problem with a dragon i had, it used Physeque. I had to go through and re-rig the model with Skin. Doesnt take too long, just a pain in the arse.

Hope that helped somewhat.

Ian

ryan scott(Posted 2006) [#3]
hmm it is using skin.

i noticed with another object i thought was animating correctly when i looked at it up close it wasn't animating at all. i was seeing the bones rendered and moving. same as with this, i'm seeing the bones, they are like white pyramids. the creatures are not animating.

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ryan,

I have had this issue - it is a pain. There are apparently a number of ways around it, exporting via the SMD exporter (from Max) and passing it through Milkshape (as I seem to remember) exporting from there as a b3d.

What about exporting as an MD2 or something?

It may be something to do with the weighting too, also check the exporter in pipeline, I am sure there is a tick box for not exporting bones.

I guess the other alternative is to complete ou character and export it into Milkshape and animate it there, maybe.

IPete2.

Big&(Posted 2006) [#5]
To animate your skin you have to use FindChild.

If in Max the models skin is called "skin":

Bloke=LoadAnimMesh("bloke.b3d")
BlokeAnim=FindChild(Bloke,"skin")
Animate BlokeAnim,1,1,1

Its cause the Max exporter puts a Root node at the top of the hierarchy and the skin is below that.

Just a note, you can download a physique to skin converter from the Sparks support site:

http://sparks.discreet.com/downloads/downloadshome.cfm

I have used this a number of times and it worked perfectly with Pipeline.

Hope this helps.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=38237#423085