Transparency and Shinyness in a model?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Transparency and Shinyness in a model?

po(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hey, I was wondering how you make certain parts of models transparent, or shiny. Is it the 3D modeling program that does it? Or is it UU3D, or even B3D? For instance, if I were making a car, I would want the windshield to be slightly transparent. Can this be done in Wings 3D?

-Thanks

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#2]
You could create the glass as a seperate mesh, then load it into Blitz like so.

car = LoadMesh("car.b3d)
glass = LoadMesh("glass.b3d",car) ; this would parent it to the car mesh
EntityAlpha glass,0.5 ; this would make the glass 50% transparent

;If you wanted the glass to be shiny too...

EntityShininess glass, 0.1 ;set this as a value between 0 and 1 to adjust the sheen on it

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#3]

po(Posted 2006) [#4]
Ok, so it's not something you can do in Wings. Or UU3D. I suppose something like this would be possible in 3DS Max, without the need of setting alpha in blitz..

Thanks.

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#5]
If you manage to export vertex alpha from 3DSMax to .b3d, you can use that to make the windshield transparent.

Jams(Posted 2006) [#6]
If you're using 3dsmax you can just apply a different brush to the windshield, but i dont think he is using max.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think you could do that in giles too. Although, the 4 sides of the glass part should be seperate meshes to prevent z-order troubles.

kfprimm(Posted 2006) [#8]
The easiest way would be to open the car in wings, select the windshield and export it as "windshield.3ds"(or what ever model file you want). Then, delete the windshield from the car model and export the car model as "car.3ds". Then load the car and windshield and make the windshield a child of the car and set the alpha and shininess or the windshield.

Chad(Posted 2006) [#9]
This was a good help to me also, 3 weeks after the last initial post :-D