Unwrap/Wings problem

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Unwrap/Wings problem

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#1]
I create some stairs in Unwrap and import into Wings and they look screwy - why is this?

Also I want to turn these into a ramp i.e. the same shape but not steps but a smooth slope. How can I do this in Wings? Or is there a better program?

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#2]
winged edge structure compatibility problems, maybe. Send the file to WIngs authors, though, as they try to polish any error.

As a fast work aorund, try importing in other format.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#3]
Have done so...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#4]
THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

The Unwrap people blame Wings and the Wings people blame Unwrap! HOPELESS!!!!!

If I extrude the faces in Unwrap it seems to screw the 3ds.

Can someone please suggest a decent modeller that will allow me to create a ERROR FREE 3ds file of some stairs like the above?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
I am sooo @#!*ed off with this - wasted a week just trying to knock some stairs.

Gonna try Blender. I hope its better

Moraldi(Posted 2006) [#6]
I have similar problems when exporting 3ds files from Silo and loading then to Unwrap. (to be more specific: with normals)
I suggest you the obj format.

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#7]
I havn't had any trouble with DeleD... yet

Great for level geometry

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#8]
Boil post the previous-to-import mesh, I'll look at it.

Difference(Posted 2006) [#9]
Yes. Post the .wings file, we'll fix it :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#10]
I have fixed it.

I'll tell you how.

Uninstall Wings. Install Blender. Use OBJ file format instead of 3ds.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#11]
Eh? Wings exports OBJ.

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#12]
Whatever works for you I guess.

I do want to say, however, that Wings is one of the absolute best model programs out there,... and that's at ANY price.

Don't get upset by me saying this, since it is not meant to be a personal attack, but the errors you are experiencing are usually due to user error. Some programs will handle things when you do things incorrectly, others will not. Wings3D demands that meshes be "proper" and watertight, so if you try to import a model from another program things can go bad. This is usually caused by things like the user not creating a proper mesh, or sometimes in the way the mesh is exported (I think this may have been the case with your problem)

In any case, glad you got the problem solved, but don't be afraid to use wings again in the future. Taking the time to learn it is well worth it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#13]
Well i'm new to modelling so it's pretty frustrating.

I haven't written Wings off completely and yeah obj files seem to be the way to go when sharing files between different applications.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#14]
patience...

you didn't even post the mesh...

3d needs, most of all...patience. ;)

oh and...Blender needs a LOT of it.

(I'm user of both, but I rather prefer to model with wings and animate with blender)

well...

Wings 's been my professional work tool for years. I'm well paid for what I do(game art). And I do faster than my mates with max.

that doesnt means wings is faster at modelling...necesarily ;)

what is more, I am almost sure that this mesh is pretty fast to fix.(or better, just export/import correctly)

To me wings3d is the fastest and more flexible modeler.

but a minimal knowledge fo the dos and donts is needed with any tool, wether it's maya, max, blender or wings.

Anyway, at start all is a huge world. I can remember.(I started in 1994, maybe before)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#15]
OK,

here is a letter a creted in Wings. Then exported as obj into Unwrap. Then saved as 3ds.

Now import it into wings and its screwed.

WHY?????

http://dev.boiledsweets.com/tmp/a.zip

I also think it's a bit screwy when loading into Blitz!

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#16]
I just opened it in Milkshape and it looked fine, except the vertices wern't welded.

Try welding them together, so you get a 'sealed' mesh, then import into Wings

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#17]
unsealed vertices are a no-no for wings. As wings is based on certain internal structure that works best with solids.. But can deal with open meshes and stuff, with some tricks.

Opened now.

Yup. Do(at Ultimate Unwrap) a 3dtools/weld model, and loads ok.

But one note. Your png texture has transparency information. It makes faces looks like reversed, specially in wings if wires viewing are on. It fooled me in the very first second, though. Delete the material to check what i mean.

The outside of the A letter is trasnparent, but it seems you didnt uv mapped as would have desired...

Also, there are extra errors in the mesh. While is triangulated, look like there are some quads...not really quads, but some weird stuff. vertex colinear with edges, but that you need some moving , editing and disolve that may wreck the uvmapping if not done carefully. This is better to check before uvmap.

I am not gonna solve em , also as I see is just a test emsh.

The errors can be have well introduced in the ai font import at UU, or another modeler, or just when you did the autosmooth unwelded some...I dunno.

the errors, I paste you here so you see (are very easy to fix in wings) :

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=error1.jpg&h=xs73&d=06120
http://xs.to/xs.php?f=error1b.jpg&h=xs73&d=06120

By no means is an error of Wings.

use also OBJ as a transfering format. Is much better, usually.