Wings 3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Wings 3D

JBR(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi, using Wings 3D to create 3d letters.

I export to .3ds format.

Problem is that in wings I have 71 triangles but when I loadmesh and count the triangles in Blitz it is about 130 tris.

I'm totally new to 3d modellers and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marg

Paul Murray(Posted 2006) [#2]
In Wings they're probably quads, 4 sided polygons that get triangulated in the engine, hence the reason you have nearly twice as many triangles.

big10p(Posted 2006) [#3]
Yep, what Muzzer said. I think wings only counts polies with any amount of sides. You need to manually triangulate the mesh to get the actual tri count.

JBR(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#5]
Do I have to connect all the vertexes prior to exporting or unwrap3d?

I have created a SIMPLE "I" shape and the mapping is COMPLETELY SCREWY!

It seems to create 2 tris per face but one of them in not selectable!

Pongo(Posted 2006) [#6]
not sure what you are asking. Wings3D will only allow solid "watertight" meshes, so you really should not have any stray vertices. (although it is possible if you import something in that is a bit messed up already)

could you post a mesh or better example?

stayne(Posted 2006) [#7]
for one, you should be exporting to .obj format so your model won't be triangulated. .obj format will maintain quads, which are much easier to texture than a big mess of tris.

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#8]
That's what I was about to say! I mean about using obj format. Of course the downside of obj file format is that everything is collapsed into a single object. That may not matter, but if it does then you'll need to work around that by exporting each object separately and combining them in Ultimate Unwrap.