I need HEELP!!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/I need HEELP!!

proud2bme(Posted 2006) [#1]
I heard so many positive reviews on using Softimage Foundation with Blitz3D so I bought the software. I have been trying to export a .X model and animation for 2 days and I can't seem to do it. I figured this was the right section to place this post in seeing as though this is a separate content creation tool. I also had the same problem with Blender's .X export. Some of you seem to have no problem at all with Softimage and Blitz. Every time I export to Ultimate Unwrap, the bones are not connected or they're in the wrong place. Please tell me I didn't waste $500.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2006) [#2]
Ahh yes I have trouble with .X animations to, blitz say its supports it, but I think nah.

Also my problem is Milkshape 1.6.6 & 1.7.7 crash when exporting .B3D. Any ideas people?

proud2bme(Posted 2006) [#3]
That's a real shame cause I thought I had the complete solution for development. The SMD export doesn't work either. I looked on the Okino website and they talked about how difficult .X is so I'm wondering if this problem was already known. I'm not trying to spend $645 just to get another converter. Can't find the FBX for Softimage either. Ho Hum...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
you should buy Lightwave for that money and enjoy stuff without headache, or, 3DSMAX (no headache at all, everything working well with B3D, and FBX too..)..

proud2bme(Posted 2006) [#5]
Too late now. Anyway, I find XSI to be an incredible program. Easy to use and full of things you wont see in other programs. The thing about LightWave, I had the chance to buy it at a reduced price and I guess I may have made a mistake. I hope not though, as I've heard a couple people on this forum speak about how easy Softimage was to use with Blitz3D. Who's tellin the truth.

dangerdave(Posted 2006) [#6]
one thing to remember with the .X format is that there are multiple versions of it.

Most of the popular modelling programs support version 8+,
and Blitz uses 7.

You might be able to find a plugin for xsi that exports to 7, other wise, you may need a third party program.

proud2bme(Posted 2006) [#7]
From what I hear PCD, if you upgrade to 1.7.7a, the crashes disappear. About the DirectX thing, I'm not sure what version Softimage is using, but when exporting to Ultimate Unwrap, I still get these problems. I also downloaded a trial of Deep Creator and it's just as messy. Softimage also crashes anytime I try to render, might be something I'm doing, but everything else is stable. I have a bad feeling that this problem wont be solved as most people don't use XSI. Well I could still use it for viewport shader renders. But I bought it for Blitz3D. Don't feel like buying another program till this gets fixed.

Garion(Posted 2006) [#8]
Have a look in the Addons section of the Softimage website. yoo can get to it via Foundation, there is an X erm... Exporter and importer listed there. I have not used it myself so can't speak for it.

Also have a look at www.xsibase.com I am sure someone there will be able to help yoo.

Cheers

Garion

Ricky Smith(Posted 2006) [#9]
If you're planning on using bones then you'll have to convert from .x to .b3d. Blitz3d only supports the DirectX7 hierarchial mesh animation when importing an animated .x. For skeletal animation with bones it only supports its own native format .b3d.
You can use Fragmotion to convert DirectX8/9 skeletal animation to .b3d. It only cost 15$ and is a great little tool.

Pete Carter(Posted 2006) [#10]
or just export static models into Pacemaker and use that to export skeletal animation i find it harder to make realistic death animation etc in any of the modeling programs ive used, but in pacemaker its really easy because once youve rigged your character the ik and ode take care of any fall or impact animation. im stuck with Cinema 4d which i love but im unable to get animation to export because of the limited export. i wish i could get a rigged character out of cinema 4d it would be great but i dont really get on with the animation tools in cinema 4d.

if silo added character rigging that program would be unbeatable i love it, they have boned animations an there ideas page that has stuff there tryig out.

Pete

proud2bme(Posted 2006) [#11]
I have Fragmotion, reinstalled it, tried to import .X, same result as with using Ultimate Unwrap. A big, oversized mess of bones not even attached to the mesh. I think the only chance to get an XSI character into B3D is through the FBX format. Milkshape now supports import, but it's messy too. Just have to wait until Ultimate Unwrap gains support or Deep Creator catches up. How is it that these programs are so complex and expensive, and the lower cost Milkshape, CharacterFX, UU3D, all have an easy clean .X export? I know there's alot more stuff flying around in the big boys but MAX got it done. Then again, Okino spent 4 years just working on DirectX export so it must not be as trivial as it seems. Maybe FBX is the future of standardized support.