Character model at low cost

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Character model at low cost

TroM(Posted 2006) [#1]
Here's 2 characters, fully textured, rigged and animated at a very low price! worth checking it out!

http://www.cubixstudio.com/index.html

N(Posted 2006) [#2]
- Available in various format (MAX, 3DS, OBJ, MilkShape, FragMotion, DirectX, MDL, Blender, FBX).

Might want to offer B3D. 'Cause, y'know, that's what people here use...

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#3]
I bought the male one to take a look. Two main problems:
1) The man doesn't run on the spot. This makes it kinda useless.
2) He is positioned to hold a gun that he doesn't have (but they do sell for extra $ on the website).

Also, the range and quality of animations aren't that great.

I notice the male one has Fragmotion/X which can be ran thru fragmotion/unwrap3d to convert to b3d. But the female doesn't so you will need 3dsmax8 (and possibly Unwrap3D) to convert this.

Be warned!

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#4]
Sorted problem (1) by tweaking it in Fragmotion (great tool).

I also noticed that the vertices aren't welded. Again, I sorted this problem in Fragmotion.

NB. The animations are all in one sequence, sometimes without proper gaps, so some editing is required.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#5]
That is poor, but your feedback will help the author fix these issues I hope.

puki(Posted 2006) [#6]
If I'd been "Beaker" - I would have gone and bought the female one first and spent a while testing her in a number of positions.

Well, I'd be interested if they were set up for .b3D or anything but MAX - I can convert most model formats excluding .max files.

There is probably, scope for tuning them more for the Blitz community. Perhaps a deal can be done by the supplier and someone to tweak them a bit for Blitz users.

Anyone able to do new skins for them too?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#7]
I forgot to mention that not all animations need the gun. So, overall, for $15/$19 dollars they are good value if you have the right tools. Also, if you don't own 3dsmax8 you could convince someone else to export it for you.

Doggie(Posted 2006) [#8]
If I'd been "Beaker" - I would have gone and bought the female one first and spent a while testing her in a number of positions.
ha! me too.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#9]
Lol, seems there's a market for this after all...

Puki,I'd be able to do skins for it, a pitty I have zero time right now.

I wish the author sells a lot of copies, 'cause, though all been said -in many aspects, true, but to me are minor details- the fact is an animated model -and character studio is not the paradise some think is- full with textures is quite hard to make and animate. 15 - 30$ is ok if he really sells a lot of copies. So I wish that to him/her.

Outputting b3d files from Max is easy. I'd prefer the Ultimate Unwrap workflow though that Pipeline, though seems that's also an extremely good plugin.

He can even output as *.u3d files, which are native for Ultimate Unwrap, using the totally free plugin available at www.unwrap3d.com , as then, some here have Ultimate Unwrap purchased, they could just care for the conversion, though I admit it has some tricks.

The save as U3d is quite straight on, though.

evi(Posted 2006) [#10]
Hi everyone,

my name is Evi from cubixstudio, i ask my husband to buy Blitz3D today so it will help me to make pack for Blitz3D in the future :D

@TroM:
Thank's a lot for posting about my pack in this forum, finally we meet again in here :P

@Noel Cower:
B3D format is included as mention in here:
http://cubixstudio.com/MalePackInfo.html

i forgot to update my front page site :P. thanks for the heads up :D

@Beaker:
Thank you so much for purchasing the pack, i really appreciate it and i apologize for the trouble you found on the pack.
I made the pack in 3ds max 8.0, initially my pack is aimed for Torque engine user, but then i got some emails that asked me to support other engines too, especially Blitz3D & Game Studio MDL, that's why i use FragMotion to help me for all the exporting.

@Beaker, please don't worry about some of the problem, i'm in the process to fix those, including the animation (i'll make the animation to run/move in the spot),
i kind of miss that part (if you open the MAX file, it's already moving in one spot, but looks like the exporter didn't recognize one of the BIPED feature to prevent pivot point from moving)

i will update my pack this week and posted in here again.
and also i'm working to convert my female pack to support BlitzBasic also.

hopefully my small indie studio can contribute a little for Blitz Community, thank you for the support everyone.
Best Regards,

Evi

Zmatrix(Posted 2006) [#11]
Evi, Are you going to have the B3d format for The female Pack aswell?

The models look really good.

Good luck with the Sales :)

Sam

maximo(Posted 2006) [#12]
These are great packs and lots of work went into them, don't be so critical guys, when something costs you 20$ you should not have any critic at all or I challenge you to make better your self ;)

It's better for all that there are more packs comming out then noone making them. Find someone who will make character and animations and they will ask few 1000$ from you which you dont have ofcourse ;)

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#13]
I'm sorry if I sounded over-critical, and I hope I haven't put anyone off, but overall I think my view was balanced; I did say that it was good value, and hopefully I made it clear that you could fix the problems with a little work.

maximo - I disagree that people shouldn't be critical when the price is low. Low or high people have a right to know what they are letting themselves in for when they spend their money (video clips or the animations would help here). Also, $15 is a lot for some kids.

Hats off to evi. I'm glad that evi has set out to make improvements, it shows good support, and also I think that most sales will likely come from those people that aren't able to make the changes themselves, either cos they don't own the tools or have the know-how.

I'd like to see more stuff like this, particularly animated models where the textures can be changed/adapted easily.

evi - good luck with it all. :)

maximo(Posted 2006) [#14]
now that's more like it :) suportive and positive :)

evi(Posted 2006) [#15]
woaaa.... my last post is lost due to Blitz server moving
i think i have to retype it again :P

@maximo:
maximo, i never knew that you are also a member of Blitz community, i'm glad to see you here too
maximo is my teacher for dealing with content pack :D

@Beaker:
Thank you so much for your kind words & suggestion, i finally finish updating my pack, thanks for your patience :D
you can chek out my other thread to see the update.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#16]
New thread here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=56485