New Blender

Community Forums/Developer Stations/New Blender

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#1]
Check it out. Theres been a new release of blender (v2.40) and even better its all free. Check out all those improvements for animation!.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Did they add a normal file browser yet?
It's just ONE SINGLE api call!! GAAH! They can EASILY revert to the horrible one with different distributions.

Other than that, it looks really cool. I just wish I could load textures into the thing without going through 7 seperate moments of nearly overwhelming temptation to throw my computer and everything that ever made contact with it out my window.

Sorry... I have a... strange history with Blender.

It does look like a really amazing update!

Haramanai(Posted 2005) [#3]
With build in 3ds , md2 , Directx8 and more plug-ins to export.

Blender rules.

Don't forget to buy a T-Shirt from the Blender shop.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
I just wish I could load textures into the thing without going through 7 seperate moments of nearly overwhelming temptation to throw my computer and everything that ever made contact with it out my window.

Are you reffering to a "bug" where textures sometimes refuse to show up the the UV editor? I've found that if you go into face select mode in the UV editor (C), and move a face, then undo it, it shows the correct image. Hopefully, this has been fixed in this version.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#5]
NOTE: If you're having trouble with the built-in DirectX exporter, download the "DirectX Exporter Mod". It works perfectly in Blitz3D for me.

Edit: For it to work with the latest Blender version, you must comment out these two lines in the python script file:
if obj.getData().getMode() & NMesh.Modes['SUBSURF']:
	subsurf = True

, like this:
#if obj.getData().getMode() & NMesh.Modes['SUBSURF']:
#	subsurf = True

Remember, to install the exporter, simply place the .py file in ".blender/scripts/" with all the other exports/importers/etc.

Russell(Posted 2005) [#6]
The only thing is, the latest documentation is for version 2.37a, I think. That being said, their documentation is very well done (and quite extensive).

Check out their fluid dynamics! Wow!

Python is a very very strange language (I think so, anyway), but a lot of packages support it so there must be something to it...

Anyway, yes, check out the latest version if you haven't already: The entire download is only 6.5MB! Ironically, the docs are almost 30MB...

Russell

Dubious Drewski(Posted 2005) [#7]
It's been years since I've tried blender. I'm running it now
again. I see that it still has the same intimidating interface
and looney viewport control. But it's free and powerful, so I
just might have to get used to it!

@ you blender users out there: where do I go to make the
camera orbit without losing it's orientation? Right now it's
very hard to rotate around an object because "up" changes
from one moment to the next.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#8]
where do I go to make the
camera orbit without losing it's orientation?

It's simple. Drag the menu bar down to view the settings. Then click "View & Controls" (I think it's called) and change the camera mode to Turntable. I also hate the default "Trackball" view mode.

Also, to rotate around a specific point, select what you want to rotate around, then select (From the SPACE menu) Transform > Snap > Cursor->Selection. This will position the 3D "cursor" at your selection. Then press C to center the Camera around the cursor.

When you want to reset the camera (Around the center of the world), press Shift+C to center the cursor, then press C to center the camera around that cursor.

I know the interface seems cumbersome at first, but it seems to get amazingly easy after you get accustomed to it. The interface is not difficult, just unconventional.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#9]
Note to beginners:
Remember to read "BlenderQuickStart.pdf", located in your Blender installation folder. It contains useful information about Blender's interface.

Also remember - most of Blender's features will be located in the SPACE menu (the one which can be accessed at any time by pressing space), and the menus on the bottom screen panel.

Unlike other modeling programs, the right mousebutton is almost always used for selecting things in Blender while the left mouse button is used on the move/rotate/scale/etc. gadgets on your selection.

Another important thing I was first confused with in blender is how to delete a portion of your model. When you delete faces/edges/vertexes from your model, it leaves a gaping hole. To fill the hole you must select the surrounding vertexes and press Shift+F (triangle fill) or F (make single polygon) to fill the hole. This comes in handy for many many operations and is an extremely powerful feature when creating complex geometry.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#10]

It's been years since I've tried blender. I'm running it now
again. I see that it still has the same intimidating interface
and looney viewport control. But it's free and powerful, so I
just might have to get used to it!

Do it! i said the same thing, now im a total convert.

In short.. Blender roxx

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#11]
The interface is not difficult, just unconventional.

No way, the trackball and turntable are lacking the good behaviour of other 3d tools(where you don't need the extra hassle to make it work in a sensible way. Is much faster.). Is a fact, and I am an experienced Blender user.

Anyway, it's powerful, but the viewport beahving allways kept me more using other modelers and blender usually for character animation. And even so...

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#12]
"The interface is not difficult, just unconventional. "

And for that, it's also uninstalled.

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#13]
I have never understood why people are afraid of conventional interfaces.

Blender would honestly be a gazillion times better with a Windows interface... and in the language they're using, it's really easy to do! I do realize the fact that they would then need to make that interface cross-platform, which is no doubt a pain.

I also don't see what people have against unconventional, custom GUIs. They usually aren't that hard to figure out.

Heck, I don't know what I am!

Maybe I need more sleep...

polygoon(Posted 2006) [#14]
I'm fine with what they did in lightwave, as they use as much of the windows or local/native interface as they can, and that's true in all platforms they produce it for. What they also do is have their own interface where there were no common ones for a given task, and that's proven to be a good balance down the last ten or more years. So many could learn so much from that software. It is examplary when yo urealise what they were trying to do so many years ago now, and they have had little need to change it, so it's clearly working out! ;O) (one major revision some years ago now, but that was about it.)

Shagwana(Posted 2006) [#15]
New version out now v2.41.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#16]
Blah - Blender is horrible.

I agree that the interface needs reworking. No, I take that back; it needs to be thrown out and a new interface built from scratch. I wish that the developers would devote a few versions to doing nothing but working on the interface rather than implementing new features.

I don't understand why the blender devs are so thick headed and stubborn about addressing this hugely important issue. Whenever anyone raises the issue on the blender forums they are shouted down; it's as if blender devs and long-time users automatically snap into uber-defensive mode at the mere hint of the suggestion that the interface needs work.

N(Posted 2006) [#17]
The problem is that everyone says that about every program when they start using it. You just have to grin and bear it.

JustLuke(Posted 2006) [#18]
I'm not sure I agree with that, Noel. Anyone who knows the fundamentals and basics of 3d modelling should ind it relatively easy to transfer from one 3d application to another. For example, I'm fairly proficient with Lightwave and my skills transfer across to 3ds max and Maya without too much difficulty. Sure, I struggle with the different interfaces at first but the conversion is a pretty painless process.

Blender just feels horrible to use. It looks ugly and dated, feels clunky and is extremely non-intuitive. I would only invest time in learning to use Blender if I had a financial incentive to do so. The fact that Blender is free makes me less inclined to waste time and effort on it rather than more inclined. This is a real shame because I like the idea of Blender just not the actual reality of it.

N(Posted 2006) [#19]
I'm a long-time Max user and have worked with XSI, Maya, Wings 3D, modo, Silo, and Blender without issue.

If you have such a hard time with basic concepts, perhaps you're not as proficient as you think.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#20]
I am a proficient user of those too, except Maya and Modo , but also used deeply Zbrush, Amorphium , Deep paint 3D, Softy, Organica, Metasequoia, Hamapatch, Milkshape, Character Fx, Quake Modeler, long etc. Am paid my salary for it since a while, and I don't see all UIs are equally good. Blender's could be better, and faster (the key shortcuts thing is something I use too in any tool, that makes any UI fast, lol.but is not the point. ) IMO Wings is way faster and direct UI. ) I don't really mind as I can model and animate in whatever. I just know when an UI is better done.Blender's power for a free tool is excellent, but almost no tool is perfect in everything, and Blender certainly isn't.

[BTW, I am a long time Blender user, and have helped and help right now with private testing and other stuff for certain plugin authors. I want Blender to be better and I like the tool. Yet though I can see some clear facts. ]

jhocking(Posted 2006) [#21]
Equivalent functionality is not the same as equivalent interfaces. Even when two different ways of doing things accomplish the same goal, it is certainly possible for one of those ways to be worse than the other. I would definitely agree that people pledge allegiance to one tool or another too quickly and too strongly (and this is true of all software, not just 3D modeling tools,) but at the same time I do perceive a point at which, yes, this tool is in fact intrinsically more effort to use.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#22]
I also don't see what people have against unconventional, custom GUIs. They usually aren't that hard to figure out.

I agree. Because Blender's interface is "unconventional", it was very confusing to me at first, but now that I have adapted to it, it is very nice.

No way, the trackball and turntable are lacking the good behaviour of other 3d tools(where you don't need the extra hassle to make it work in a sensible way. Is much faster.). Is a fact, and I am an experienced Blender user.

Anyway, it's powerful, but the viewport beahving allways kept me more using other modelers and blender usually for character animation. And even so...

That's strange. I find Blender's turntable view controls very easy to use, especially the way you can focus it's pivot point anywhere you want.

Blender would honestly be a gazillion times better with a Windows interface...

Blah - Blender is horrible.
I agree that the interface needs reworking.

There is always room for improvement. There's no doubt that Blender's interface could be vastly improved, it's just that I'm satisfied with Blender as it is. :) I've been able to make models in Blender better than anything I've ever made before, and so far I haven't noticed anything annoying or clunky about the interface.

IMHO, Blender's interface is a "gazillion" times better than TrueSpace's. I've never liked TrueSpace's interface and doubt I ever will. It seems that the preference of modeling programs is always a matter of opinion.

So, when you're looking for a good modeler, do what I did: try every modeller you can (especially if it's free). This way you'll find what works best for you.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#23]
I understand your point, John. The fact is...I say after using them long time, not the usual good try of several days or weeks... I can model any uber detailed hi res troll i any of the mentioned tools, but I apreciate when stuff is available faster and better.

That's strange. I find Blender's turntable view controls very easy to use, especially the way you can focus it's pivot point anywhere you want.

You can do that in wings, too, excep way much more faster and less distracting. And count on I know well the shortcuts in Blender ;)

The not so good behaviour of viewport rotation is said by many users(besides it behaved differently -better- in certain elder version, but they removed it), several , old expert ones. The rolling is better in other applications, to put a pair of quick examples, XSI and max.

Mirai/Wings interface imo is several times more adecuate to fast and better controlled modelling.IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I check Blender test builds improvements often, and help as I said (besides explaining to some, several workarounds, specially game field) But I'd prefer to see it improved.

I'd agree with Truespace, but that's a not so good example ;) IMO is not a very good UI. Blender is better Ui is than that, that's clear to me. (to some very old TS user it may be the opposite, though I've found some that droped since 4.3) To say the truth, I never liked much the Max's UI, to put an example. And I also think XSI's could be faster too. I use both with lots of key shortcuts. In wings, I do also, but I need much less if I want, as all is inmediate(with or without keys, that's my point).

But there are many other weak points, admited by many old blender people. And I am sure they will keep polishing them.As any toool does.