Calling all blender users

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Calling all blender users

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am really getting into blender but have a few problems, mainly to do with mesh export.

Has anyone else managed to find an object format that can handle mesh parent-child hierachy, with UV coords, that can then eventually end up in giles or blitz?

-obj exports perfectly but sadly has no hierachy. I dont know much about obj format so dont know if it can support multiple meshes

-X format seems to have the mesh hierachy in tact, but seems to screw up all the vertex and UV positions. This is actually from a separate python script i found, the built in exporters just make everything crash.

-cob is all squashed and uvs are wrong.

-lwo & ndo just dont seem to work full stop.

-B3d & 3ds If anyone has a reliable python script to export either of these with tree and UV, PLEASE PLEASE let me in on the secret.

Any advice'd be great

Cheers

JoeGr(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm not sure whether it does everything you want but there's a .3ds exporter here you could try.

http://67.22.114.230:8080/programming/blender/index.html

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#3]
http://development.mindfloaters.de/Downloads.12.0.html

download 1.32 and use Blender 2.37

Some advices I grabbed from another user, you may find them useful for x export (but dx8 x files hierarchies will not be usable in b3d. You can convert x file to b3d with ultimate unwrap. I do often) :

BTW, I'm using Blender v.2.37, Python v.2.3.5 and the script DirectX9 mod 1.3.2 by Ben Omari & Jox.

Well, I'll list the requirements before using the script to generate a good working .x file.

-Matching version of Python should be installed (in my case, both Blender an Python are 2.3) to ensure the scripts to run correctly.
-Armature and mesh should have the same origin location (params LocX, LocY and LocZ should be the same).
-Armature and mesh should have the same size and rotation. So, once we have the desired size and rotation for both armature and mesh, we should hit CTRL+A.
-All the existing vertex groups names should match those from the bones of armature. If you delete a bone which as a vertex group assigned, the script won't run and show several error messages.
-Texture file names, etc... shouldn't have spaces (the script will show a syntax error).
-According to the forums, any object from the scene -mesh, texture, IPOs, etc...- shouldn't have a name ending with ".001" (or another number).
-The mesh needs to have UV mapping to have textures applied.

And finally, the issue that drove me mad:

All "skinnable" bones of the armature (I mean those who have vertex groups assigned to them) must be directly or indirectly parented to a "main parent bone" ....
I suggest to add the dummy bone first in the armature (and forget about it for now), then make your rigging setup, test it and, as a final step before exporting your .x file, parent every unparented chain root bone to the dummy bone (remember, only chains which include skinnable bones, don't need to parent IK solvers)

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
1.32 of the DX8 exporter mod works perfectly for me with Blitz3D's directx loader. Although, I did have to comment out two lines in the python script which were causing an error with the new version.

Finjogi(Posted 2006) [#5]
If I remember right I modified AC3D exporter and it worked quite well for scenery (-> Gile[s] -> .B3D) I'll check out it later today and post exporter source..

Haramanai(Posted 2006) [#6]
Have you checked the new vertion 2.40?
It have a build in 3ds , MD2 and more exporters.

John J.(Posted 2006) [#7]
The 3DS exporter doesn't seem to export textures at all. The built in DirectX exporter has some problems, too (flipped faces, messed up object positions, etc.) I'm happy with the DX8 Mod 1.32, since it works perfectly for me.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#8]
John J. :

Blitzbasic3d does not import weights and bones (armatures in Blender) animations in the x format. You probably mean to static x files. Which would not be a problem with any modeler and free converters...

Maybe you mean opening the x animated file in Ultimate Unwrap and exporting then as b3d? As I know that works with Blender 2.37a and directx mod...

I am being a private betatester of the original Ben's exporter now for 2.40. It'll take yet a bit to release a version.

There is a 3ds exporter also can be loaded externally, a modified version of that one that exports textures, cameras and lights. Being used right now by the graphic adventure engine Wintermute engine, that does a 2'5d kind of thing with it.

I had not noticed the md2 export at 2.4: I tend to load the scripts from latest updates from text editor and run with alt+ p.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#9]
1.32 of the DX8 exporter mod works perfectly for me with Blitz3D's directx loader

Ouch.Sorry. I was then missing this. There is a weights and bones x loader for Blitz3d that loads well weighted animations in x format direct to blitz.

I was much unaware of this. Can I ask where is it to download ?

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thx all, ill look into these!

Dont supose any python gurus have written a b3d export?

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#11]
There was a try from a blitz user...But he left it...
I mean, with bones and weights.

That'd be cool, but for 2.40 he'd need the new API docs for armatures ik , and that... as it has changed a lot internally...

One problem can be the baking of ik for export.. (i think there are problems for exporting that into a format)

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#12]
i dont know much about md2, ive never used it. I know its got something to do with quake, but are these boned anims? as this may be a good alternative.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#13]
md2 is a bit of a pain. Yet though , can be used. Md3 maybe with drago's library, but possibly not as a full piece model, which is the only I see interesting for organic characters...

md2 plugin works nice for older blender versions like 2.36 and 2.35...maybe also the great 2.37a.

With latest Blender 2.41 ...dunno, indeed, I am testing now...

md3 plugin works with 2.41...with some important details to put in the script before exporting...

Those plugins are easily available from their authors:

md2
http://67.22.114.230:8080/programming/blender/
download this file if not available, it contains other plugins as well..:
http://www.savefile.com/files/4940557

md3
http://www.freewebs.com/estrato/misc.htm