TrueSpace 7 is out

Community Forums/Developer Stations/TrueSpace 7 is out

Smokey(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi

Just to let you know that TrueSpace 7 is out the price is $505

here the link

http://www.caligari.com/Products/trueSpace/ts7/Brochure/intro.asp?Cate=BIntro

Amon(Posted 2005) [#2]
This is going to be a definate buy for me as I have Truespace 6.6. The features look good and from what I've read it's very stable.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#3]
'and from what I've read it's very stable. '

Have they fixed the IK though? My last experience of that was that it was riddled. Even saving/reloading could screw up your hard work.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
It looks pretty nice.
I wonder if the UI is any less confusing...

The SDS tools sound cool.

Smokey(Posted 2005) [#5]
the Ik seem totaly different, the UI is the same but in this version you can put your own UI

I never bought it, only try the demo and it crash often, I gonna wait the demo for this ver and give it a try.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#6]
i think that if you preorder and you already have a license for ver 6, you can get it for $299 if you preorder before the release...

not 100% sure of this though, but they did send me a card with suggests that this is indeed the offer...

if you're planning on upgrading, check out the details before Dec 31st... you may be able to save a few bucks...

--Mike

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#7]
I would like to get my money back for tS6.6 and gS1.6.
:( If i would like easy/cheep "render" program. tS rocks!!
If you want to create gamecontent, think twice.
I have learnt this the hardway.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2005) [#8]
Does ts7 have native .bb or .dts (Torque) support, without having to use Milkshape to import the textures into blitz programs. (Yes, its true, some of us blitzers have more than one lover)
If it don't, what are the benefits of upgrading from ts5, or even gs1.6.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#9]
I havent seen anything about it. Its possible you have to buy somekind of xxxPAK for tS like before. But iam only guessing. I havent found anything about the "exporters".
tS 7 is a giant step up as "render" program.
The thing i miss the gameartcontent pipeline. Without buying extra shareware tools for everything..

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#10]
yeah... i abandoned the TS update train for a while after 4.3... it was getting a lil expensive when compared to the revenue i was making with TS...

i managed to get a license for 5.something or the other on Amazon dot com a while back though for around $40...

the interface is a pain, but i'm getting used to it... but i'm not doing enough with it to justify the expense of a license for 7... even though it looks pretty hot.

--Mike

Amon(Posted 2006) [#11]
Well, I bought it this morning with VRay. The new interface is a substantial improvement over TS6.6 and seems lightyears ahead of any other 3d app I've used before. Haven't had time to get in to it properly as I'm still going through the manual which is a 76mb pdf which details everything.

I'm not going to big it up as awesome yet but will test it thoroughly before deciding whether to keep it or ask for a refund. I've basically got 30 days to see if I like it.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted. If you want some screenshots of any part of it let me know and I'll post some.

maximo(Posted 2006) [#12]
They keep talking about this TruePlay thing, but there is sooooo little real information on the webpage. Does anyone have TS7 and what can you do with TruePlay, can you make games with it??? Anyone that knows more plz post here!

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#13]
I used to like tS but the lack of "working" game engines exporter made me switch to another app.

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#14]
You could allways buy the gamepak addon.

would be more logical if they at least included x full export...in the main package, no extra purchases.Ts 4.3 had one free, but I tested -i have 4.3 purchased- way, way long ago, but weights did not get ported with the same strength...neither there was by then a good controll over weights per vertex like in max (other than a plugin called curiously skin modifier, of like 15$...)

The TS IK bones are -admited by expert TSers- a bit...well, you know. Hopefully they may have improved that. I may give a try too to ts7 trial, only for curiosity (i don't need more software)

Gamespacelight and gamepsace did export natively as x, so u could convert in Ultimate unwrap, or max with xporter plugin..

Amon(Posted 2006) [#15]
Here's a couple of pics for ya. Don't know about the trueplay thing but will check it out.

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#16]
Yepp, looks great.. But there are no good gameengines exporter... thats to bad.....

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#17]
They almost improved the GUI!!

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#18]
Yes, if you didnt like it before, you going to love it now.

Gord(Posted 2006) [#19]
File formats are all important. If it don't have the right ones then why bother struggling with an ugly ui. A bit pricey too.

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#20]
'Yes, if you didnt like it before, you going to love it now.'

That's debatable.
My own experience with TS6.5 was not positive.

Garion(Posted 2006) [#21]
I upgraded to TS 7 with Vray on the pre-order scheme, but I am beginning to think that I have wasted a ton of cash.

Having used Truespace since version 1 and after a breif struggle with the iconic interface I really took to it like a duck to water. I am in the minority I know :)

The upgrade Price with Vray alone is extortionate and compared to XSI Foundation it does not deliver as big a bang for yer buck.

I was also a bit peeved to find out that my Gamepak, Conversionpak etc do not seem to work with TS7 (it might be I am doing something wrong but I am at a loss as to what).

The Interface changes when yoo change views, all the icons go off to differnt parts of the screen and I spend a lot of time looking for Icons that have wandered off or are hidden behind other icon bars.

Most of the modelling tools are actually in a TS6.6 module that is bridged to from the New Player Interface and once again all the Icons move about.

I really do not know what I have paid for and as a tightfisted Scot thats anathema to me :)

The threefold hike in upgrade price does not seem to be justifiable with TS7 in its present state. Once again Caligari have concentrated on gimmicks rather than fixing the tools that were broken or improving the tools that were already there.

As a loong time user and abuser of Truespace, I fear it might be time to move on.

Cheers

Garion

Alienforce(Posted 2006) [#22]
MadJack, Sorry i forgot the " :) " at the end i was ironic.

I am totally lost in new GUI..

MadJack(Posted 2006) [#23]
'The threefold hike in upgrade price does not seem to be justifiable with TS7 in its present state. Once again Caligari have concentrated on gimmicks rather than fixing the tools that were broken or improving the tools that were already there.'

That's my impression too - with each new release of TS Caligari likes to shout about the number of shiny new toys they've implemented, but they often seem to be implemented in a somewhat haphazard fashion and it was always the last 10% in a TS project where bugs were causing me to pull my hair out. After 6.5 I sort of wondered at the quality of Caligari's programmers.

In comparison, I feel the pro 3d modelling software houses will sometimes bring out a new version of their software that adds very little in terms new features but instead focus on simply extending their existing tools and enhancing stability...

Bob3d(Posted 2006) [#24]
i'd have an eye on cinema4d, xsi or Blender...depending on your needs...As each has a certain lack, while are great buys, imho. (well, you cant buy blender, you can donate if feel generous ;) )

Amon(Posted 2006) [#25]
I have requested a refund for Truespace 7 & Vray. As there was no demo I couldn't test it before buying so had to buy it to see if it was worth it. I'm simply not happy with it so far. It's odd and the new features don't justify the price. The same problems that existed in TS6.6 are still there in TS7. Modelling with Truespace is odd and I find that it actually makes modelling more difficult. I'll be honest and say that the new features are good but the price you pay for them is not.

Currently I'm within the 30 day returns period so have asked for a refund.

Hambone(Posted 2006) [#26]
Lightwave8 and VUE5 infinite is absolutely the best combo in 3D for the money. Both together are onsale for USD$795.

I gave up on Truespace a few years ago. I have v4.0 thru 6.6 if anyone wants to buy it cheap :)

LW8 is absolutely unbeatable imo and whats coming with V9.0 will knock your socks off (think 3D at near realtime rendering using GPU and shaders).

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/partners/e-on/

Allan