Is this true for Blitz3D content?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Is this true for Blitz3D content?

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

I find that:

If you want to create small objects e.g. people, box, etc., we could use .3ds, .x or .b3d. However, if you want to create a building or terrain which involve large area and many textures, we MUST use .b3d?

As I create a models with multiple texture in .3ds or .x, when I load them into blitz3d, the texture are all gone. With "entityTexture" command, we could only apply one texture to an single objects.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Sammy
:)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hiya Sammy,

Which modeller do you use? If it is 3D Studio Max.

Grab the B3D Pipeline from the 'links' link above. You can set up multiple textures inside 3D Studio Max and export directly as B3d.

IPete2.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi IPeter2,

I use milkshape 3D and truespace 3.2 at the moment. Do I need to use convertors for all these programs?

It seems to me that .b3d support most in Blitz3D.

Thanks in advance
Sammy

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
.x and .3ds are mostly rubbish and whenever you can, you should really be using .B3d

It supports all of Blitz3d's native Brush, texture and vertex weight heirarchy in the B3D format.

.3ds must be well over a decade old, and isn't really used anymore for anything serious.

.x is pretty awful too and hardly any exporters or loaders produce the exact same result. So its a bit hit and miss and much like .3ds missing many key features that the blitz3d renderer supports.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#5]
Don't forget md2 - if you want hordes of low poly creatures running around they are not too bad. On my reasonably good system I can have 400 animated humanoid models in md2 format at 500 polys each running around for the same performance as 200 models in b3d format at the same number of polys. Sure md2 has many limitations but depending upon what you are making they can be quite useful.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
Everything Evak says about .3ds and .x is true. However, the answer to your question is "no". Both 3ds and x files are fine with multiple textures so the problem is somewhere in your export path. Nevertheless, I wouldn't suggest spending a whole lot of time trying to resolve the problems, because moving to .b3d for all static objects will give you benefits in other areas.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thank you

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
btw. B3D is the only one that can store Multitexturing, I mean multiple texture layers, eg. texture plus lightmap. But in all the formats, b3d, 3ds and x you may have more than one texture. when you use LoadAnimMesh, you can EntityTexture the children of the Entity with the textures. When you use Loadmesh then it's a bit more difficult, you need to track down the surfaces and what textures they meant to use (see the SaveB3D example in the code archices on how to track down surfaces) and then Loadbrush and PaintSurface to apply individual Textures to individual "Parts".

If you save a mesh with a texture in truespace or Milkshape, always save the texture in the same folder as the model, this way blitz will find it and load it by default. This makes things easier.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi jfk,

Thank you very much. I will try it later.

Sammy