3D World Studio - .b3d export with terrain

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3D World Studio - .b3d export with terrain

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#1]
I got terrain export working in the .b3d exporter. I just tested a scene with brushes, meshes, terrain, and a couple of lights, and the results are pretty awesome:

It looks like an amateur UT2004 map, which I take as a good sign, since I put that structure together in about five minutes.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wow!

Neat Josh - great work as usual.

IPete2.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#3]
That looks great, can't wait to try this out for myself =)

Panno(Posted 2005) [#4]
cool halo
can u give as a demo ?
i will see the fps in my computer.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you are running any of the minor release patches after v5.31, your copy of the program will automatically detect the new patch and give you an option to download.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
This looks good :D I'll need to save to buy this, but, looks worth it.

Amon(Posted 2005) [#7]
My brother Bought it for me yesterday. Looks good. Can't wait for my license key and have got to wait till tomorrow by the looks of it as it states on halos site that they're gone from the office untill the 30th.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#8]
really looks nice josh...

one question... the plants don't seem to be throwing any shadows... are they the result of some sort of procedural post lightmapping process...

not that it takes away from the scene that much, just wondering...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Mike,

Look more closely they are casting shadows.

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#10]
i'm lookin'... but i don't see any sahdows on the veggies in the ground...

the shadow on the structure atop the main building falls to the left rear, as does the shadow that fals from the main structure doors onto its floor...

... but i don't see any shadows falling in that direction from the plants, and there is no other 'light source' visible that would destroy the shadows from the plants, or make em fall in a different direction.

wait a minute... there does appear to be something there... maybe those are shadows and not the leaves/branches that i thought they were...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#11]
Mike,

Yes I think that there are shadows there, the angle doesn't help you see them but there is definatey a differential between the darkness of the plant and what I see as shadows. I do have to get very close to see them on that picture. I don't doubt that these, therefore, are shadows as Josh has created a couple of systems with plants and shadows - the last great one was the trees with swaying and shadows which moved too.

IPete2.

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
IPete: There aren't shadows being cast by the plants. Mike is right. What you think is a shadow is just part of the grass mesh.

It would be completely impractical to have shadows from tiny little plants like that being cast onto a large terrain. The resources required to have that many lightmaps with the resolution required to lightmap a terrain in such a way would be immense.

JoeRetro(Posted 2005) [#13]
The resources required to have that many lightmaps with the resolution required to lightmap a terrain in such a way would be immense

What are you talking about? One 512x512 png (lightmap via Giles) will do the trick easily.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#14]
hahaha, the terrain does use a 512x512 lightmap. You would never use a lightmap for shadows of tiny little plants. You should use a projector or stencil for something like that. No game I know of would try to make shadows for that much little grass pieces, though.

N(Posted 2005) [#15]
What are you talking about? One 512x512 png (lightmap via Giles) will do the trick easily.

To get the shadows of the grass? You'd need a hell of a lot more than just one 512x512 map.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2005) [#16]
Noodle Cower: Create >>>1<<< 512x512 Texture and make a Mesh with Plane Layers. Sample:

Create now additional >>>1<<< 512x512 Texture. This does work as Lightmap Texture.

Ok its more than 1 512x512 Texture but this is not teh hell. You can use these Texture on a 8000x8000 sized Terrain: Use UV Reapeat :P

N(Posted 2005) [#17]
What you just said has zero relevance to anything in this thread...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#18]
Noodle,

I kneel in the shadow of your great knowledge...lol

Sorry I thought they looked like lickel shadowys, but Josh knows his own software better than me. So I take both your words on it and skulk away, head down, and deflated for being wrong yet again!

lol.

IPete2.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#19]
Hahahaha, you just suggested I use a repeating lightmap on the terrain. You really need to read up on lightmapping, because you don't really have an understanding of how it works.

In any case, why are we arguing about grass casting shadows? It looks great, and is comparable with real AAA games out there.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2005) [#20]
Oh. Naturally a mesh possesses only 1 lightmap texture, yap. With repeating does mean only set on gras texture.

I wanted to master 2 problems in a time. Sry man.

bye

btw, halo: my screenshot does not look bad, too. HM ^_^

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#21]
Halo, it looks great considering how fast you put it together. I like the sand ripples on the left and how it transitions with the grass. Lights and shadows give everything more depth and feel. The red light suggest all kinds of possibilities. The light mapping looks decent.

I look forward to seeing samples including; skyboxs, trees, water, bare patches of earth, some rock, fog, and a lifeless figure of puki.
8)

I like the clean professional interface on 3d World Studio. It's great to see design, planning, and style come together. It has the potential to compare to other AAA games, perhaps with some solid level design and great art assets will see it's true character.

Great job Halo!