Free Alternative to F.L.E

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Free Alternative to F.L.E

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, Im wondering if anyone knows a free alternative to FLE that does the same paint-with-texture style editing? I looked in the Toolbox but didn't find what I was looking for.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#2]
See toolbox 3d terrain: CLE
and I thought FLE is free but ALE isn't?

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah FLE is free but it lacks a few of the necessary features I need such as exporting to another format other than b3d. CLE wasnt finished I think, and plus Noel Cower put up something weird instead of CLE. Thnx Dreamora :)

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#4]
well, all you need then for FLE (if format is the only concern) is a model converter.

Rogue Vector(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ultimate Unwrap will probably do the conversion for you

Rogue Vector

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hey rifraf, where's the fle_compiled.zip? A lot of people used to miss it. I'd host it for you if you're out of webspace.

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#7]
Well, i made a similar(but different) commercial product for another entity, and i agreed to discontinue any work or promotion/distribution of FLE.

Its floating around out there somwhere. but i cant host or
give it out myself. If you get it from someone , theres
nothing preventing you from hosting it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
how could you do that, it was an open source project. Open Source like in GNU public license i used to assume. Anyway, it isn't for me but for the users who asked for it. BTW who is this entity, is this george bray? Sounds pretty much like him. Anyone remember Worldspin? died soon after it went commercial (initially promised as freeware).

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#9]
How can i do what?
Choose not to distribute somthing.. Easy im not legally
bound to supply FLE to anyone open source or not.
How can i make a similar program for someone else.. Easy
(Similar does not mean the same program. It means they both are terrain editors that use alpha blending techniques.)

I dont get what your asking.

Read carefully,
I did not say, FLE is not available
I did not say, you cannot have it.
I said, I wont give it to you
I said, I wont promote it
I said, I agreed not to continue developing it
I said, if you can get it elsewhere. then get it
use it, and host the file.

So clarify what you're asking.

N(Posted 2005) [#10]
http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/stuff/FLE_Noel.7z

This is likely to be the only free version of FLE that's any good. It's completely open source aside from the GUI (which is my own work).

Requires 7zip to exract, and no, I won't provide a different format.

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#11]
ya I got burned on WorldSpin, but I know Rif isnt the same guy as that WS fool. He is a punk who did notta but lie and when he didnt get rich off one program punked out.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#12]
Rifraf, ok. No offence. It's only a tragedy that I can't find it anywhere. Falelorn, well WorldSpin was announced as an upcoming freeware app, but then bray bought it (the author said he couldn't resist). So I know he's not Rif. MRaven or something was his name, IIRC.

Noel, thanks a lot. I remember, at some point you started your own version. Never tried it yet, but I guess it's pretty good too.

N(Posted 2005) [#13]
That would be http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/stuff/old/CLE.zip

Requires a purchase of F-UI though as that's what the GUI uses.

Leiden(Posted 2005) [#14]
Did you ever finish CLE Noel?