Maya for $100?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Maya for $100?

yours(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was wondering if anyone has heard of the online store called Online Soft. They are selling software like Maya for $100, Flash for $40, Photoshop for $70, and others for extremely low prices. They say in the FAQ that they are cheap because the software is for download only, so they don't have to spend money on the packaging (or something like that).

Here are some links:

The main page:
http://www.cheapcoolsoft.com/index.php

Maya for $99.95:
http://www.cheapcoolsoft.com/product_details.php?product=2050&cat=4

The FAQ page:
http://www.cheapcoolsoft.com/faq.php

Does anyone know if this site is legal or if they can actually do this? It seems to be a real company, but it seems to good to be true.

Is there anyone here who would know if this is legal, because if it is, I would like to buy software they have.

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
Maya for $100 - "puki" licks his lips.

My first impression is something dodgy is going on. I am in a fortunate position whereby I gain by paying in dollars - I get the stuff for less than what they are charging.

I'll take a browse through their goods.

puki(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wait a minute:

3D Studio Max. The latest version of Discreet's award-winning modeling, animation, and rendering solution... >>

Buy for:
$129.95
Old price $3999.00
New price $129.95
You save $3870.00

This can't be right - something untoward going on here.

We need a volunteer to purchase something and test it - any offers?

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's referenced by a lot of 'shady' sites.

They also mention that you receive no support for the products you buy, in other words, what they're saying is that you receive no license for the software.

Contact Alias (and the other companies) and ask if you really are still not sure that this 'company' is full of crap.

yours(Posted 2005) [#5]
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks for the imput.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#6]
I bet it's russian site so software companies can't touch them as well as FBI or any other organisation. It's illegal this site.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#7]
They spelt their name wrong its a "t" not a "p" in cheapcoolsoft.

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#8]
I normally mention this kind of sites to the respective companies ...
Even if they can't do anything about this site selling on their stuff, they can enforce a blockade of the site / IP on ISP DNS listings.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm sure they take your cash and send you nothing.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm sure you can download it, but it's illegal to use it! ;-)
Have fun!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#11]
lol. If you're going to use illegal/pirated software (not recommended), why pay for it at all?

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#12]

2. Basic Conditions of Purchasing at Downloadable Software online store
2.1. You are informed that the software is in English language only unless noted differently on the site or by the Support representative;
2.2. You will thoroughly follow the downloading and installation instructions on your account;
2.3. You cannot register the software with the manufacturer and updates are available not for all the products;
2.4. You do not receive printed license documentation;

2.5. You do not receive a copy of the software on a disk.

hmmm.... seems like they are actually selling warez, don't know how they get away with it.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#13]
Well, technically it's not warez...
It's like downloading a CD image for private purposes (well, what kind of purposes - I don't know) which is legal.
But it's illegal to install and use it beacuse you don't own a license because you didn't buy it from a manufacturer! ;-)

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#14]
Any person who thinks buying software from these guys is legal needs their head examined.

Scott Shaver(Posted 2005) [#15]

Why is the software so inexpensive?
We offer the software for downloading only, it means that you do not receive a fancy package, a printed manual and license that actually aggregate the largest part of the retail price. In this situation we are restricted in selling the products for private purposes only! You will not be able to get a technical support and different rebates from the manufacturer. Updates are available for the most of our products (you may ask our support staff for the exceptions) that make them fully functional and operating. Additionally you save the delivery cost.

Stay very far away from these people.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#16]
Although I have no sympathy for legitimate companies that charge enormous sums for their software I would say stay away from these people for your own sake.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#17]
The thing that doesnt make sence to me is that the domain is owned and registered to a John Hopking. And look where he lives:

whois.criticalinternet.com]
Registration Service Provided By: ESTDOMAINS

Domain Name: CHEAPCOOLSOFT.COM

Registrant:
Neo net ltd
John Hopking (soft@...)
PO box 675 , denver .co
Denver
CO,188101
US
Tel. +1.2372732

Creation Date: 01-Aug-2005
Expiration Date: 01-Aug-2006

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.soft-ns.com
ns2.soft-ns.com

Administrative Contact:
Neo net ltd
John Hopking (soft@...)
PO box 675 , denver .co
Denver
CO,188101
US
Tel. +1.2372732

Technical Contact:
Neo net ltd
John Hopking (soft@...)
PO box 675 , denver .co
Denver
CO,188101
US
Tel. +1.2372732

Billing Contact:
Neo net ltd
John Hopking (soft@...)
PO box 675 , denver .co
Denver
CO,188101
US
Tel. +1.2372732

If it were illegal, the FBI or some organisation in the US (where this guy lives) would be able to shut it down.

Cajun17(Posted 2005) [#18]
As the cliche goes, if it's too good to be true it probably is.

However, in this case everything besides the fact that the prices are unreal lead me to the conclusion that somehow it's legit. I'm not going to buy anything and I don't recommend it to anyone else without checking with some kind of authority.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#19]
It can't possible be legit. Companies like Abobe et al would not sell their software through a channel like this.

The price these companies decide to charge for their software is not an excuse to get dodgy copies. They wrote it so they can charge whatever they want. If you want it, you should pay for it. If you can't afford it, tough - get something you can afford.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#20]
your best bet to get max, maya etc cheap is to buy a legitimate copy on ebay. 2 of my friends have bought unopened sealed legitimate boxed copies. One was the full version for $1100 and the other was an upgrade for $300 which was a good deal as they were upgrading a much older version.

Unless your an educational establishment your not going to get it anywhere near the $100, not even on ebay lol.