Anyone have a nice colored glass material for Max?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Anyone have a nice colored glass material for Max?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm really bad with 3dsMax materials. Does anyone have a nice material for shiny, reflective, transluscent coloured glass? Think a ruby or an emerald ( which color is not important )

I've googled a few tutorials and the like, but nothing that I consider very appealing. I can make a bad job of it myself, I don't need a tutorial to help me make a bad job of it.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#2]
Mental ray is your friend, there's a few tutorials on it. It's not really possible with scanline rendering without hacky reflection maps and even then it looks turdy.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
I haven't really looked at Mental Ray up until now. Either way, I can't find any good tutorials with or without Mental Ray. I was indeed hoping for something a bit more impressive than reflection maps, but I can use reflection maps if I can't find anything else.

Aoneweb(Posted 2005) [#4]
What format do you need, png, jpeg etc, dont know alot about max

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm not really looking for a texture. Just a 3dsMax Material file or a guide/tutorial on making your own. So far I haven't found any tutes or guides that even vaguely resemble the look I'm after.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Maybe posting a screen of what you're after would be helpful? Is it a ruby or diamond or sheet of glass?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#7]
I said what it was I was after in my first post. Something which is suitable for a ruby or an emerald. I'm after a generic jewel so that I can pick the color of the jewel later.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#8]
There's a good glass tutorial in Max's tuts I think - I used it a long while back so it may have changed, but I got some great results very quickly.

Have a shuffty about in the tuts.

IPete2.

Jams(Posted 2005) [#9]
With reflective materials they're always gonna look a bit rubbish until you put them into an environment where they have something good to reflect - the tutorials you've read were probably adequate, but if you plonk a nice reflective sphere down on a grey plane it's not gonna look amazing - in this case reflection maps are better.