Silo 2.0

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Silo 2.0

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well as some of the more 3D geeks here will know, Siggraph (like E3, but for 3D graphics) is going on at the moment. One of the cool new products announced this year, is the next version of my fav modeler, Silo 2.0:

http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/silo_20/

As you can see this is going to be great, especially for generating normal maps and high detailed geomerty. Plus for what you are getting $109 is an absolute steel (If you buy 1.4 now, you get 2.0 for free)

Alberto(Posted 2005) [#2]
boomboom and other XSI\Silo users

I purchased XSI, some days ago.
I know that you also are using XSI.
Do you think is it worth while purchasing also Silo 2.0.?
I do not want to model a 3d character from the scratch, but I would like to edit existing models (blending limbs , adding\editing clothes and hair etc )
From the web site it seems that Silo supplies some unique tools
Do you think that Silo is more suitable than XSI for this kind of job?

thanks in advance

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]

Do you think that Silo is more suitable than XSI for this kind of job?

No.

BTW, I just came back from the SIGG and my god, XSI5 rocks! GATOR for example is an awesome addition to already very good XSI toolset... GATOR allows you to transfer envelopes (bones), animation and even texturemaps and UVs from one model to another with a click of a button. New model can be totally different geometrywise, and doesn't have to be UV-mapped, textured or enveloped at all... GATOR does all that!

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#4]
yea, gator looks good, pity its not in foundation (sigh). Still the XSI 5 update for foundation users looks pretty damn cool.

I disagree, I still use silo for all my modeling, just as I used it when I was using maya. I find it alot faster and simpiler to model with than any of the more rounded products.

Plus XSI doesn't have any sort of displacement mapping, which is hopefully going to be very strong in Silo. And for that alone its very much worth the money, especially if u are altering existing meshes.

Why don't u try the Silo demo and see if it fills your needs?

[edit] also silo and XSI are a very populer combination at the silo forums, so if u want a more rounded answer as at www.silo3d.com [/edit]

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm testing every Silo demo, and keep prefering Wings...not to say i don't like Silo, but...

I have xsi foundation only for animation, but it has a heck of a bunch of nice modelling tools, and what i saw of uvmapping, looked really nice, yet though I keep loving my wings+unwrap3d combo...heh, years using these at jobs...maybe is that, who knows.Anyway, if anyones gives me Silo as a present I guess I'd end using it like the bazillion tools I have allways installed ...Like one more. ;)

Saw the new features, they look quite cool. Though I have zb and Amorphium, and keep prefering subdivs in Wings(+dp3d) for that detail..

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#6]
btw, I think Silo is more maya-like... ;)

gpete(Posted 2005) [#7]
I just got Silo for $109....I like it...I could never figure out TrueSpace or GameSpace. Thanks to Seth at Idigicon I got my Quill 3D up and running again, minus the cd checking irritant.