One application.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/One application.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have checked out most 3d programs and as far as I can tell there are only 2 which can be used for almost everything a game designer needs.These are 3ds Max and Gamespace. Even then you need a seperate level builder.
Am I right?

Hambone(Posted 2005) [#2]
Gord,

Check out DeleD.

www.delgine.com

Seems pretty good and getting better.

Allan

Gord(Posted 2005) [#3]
Are you saying that Deled is the complete answer to all requirements?

TroM(Posted 2005) [#4]
Deled is a level editor, not a modelling tool

Hambone(Posted 2005) [#5]
I think TroM may have missed something.

Anyway, seems like the best "all in one" available to me ... Milkshape will do almost anything nowdays (including animation). Might be another good palce to look. It's cheap too.

I use Milkshape, PaintShop and Ultimate Unwrap and I am happy with the resaluts.

From the web page:

"DeleD is a 3D editor and level-editor combined into one and is specifically designed to create static objects/worlds. It unites the functionality needed to create complex 3D scenes with an easy-to-understand userinterface: learn to build worlds within the hour!
The concepts behind DeleD are simple. Draw and manipulate 3D objects like cubes, polylines, rectangles, grids, pyramids, cylinders and more. Combine them into new 3D objects and use those to create complete scenes."

The main features of DeleD are:

Easy-to-use userinterface
Exports DirectX, OBJ, B3D, Ogre Mesh, DBO
Imports DirectX, CSM, B3D, 3DS
Dynamic Undo system
Lots of low-polygon editing functions like move, scale, rotate, extrude, inset, split, hollow and more
Manipulation of objects, polygons, edges and vertices
Powerful and fast lightmapping (PRO has extended functionality)
Easy-to-understand fileformats
Plugin system with various plugins available
Automatic UV coordinate generation
Visibility functions
Material Editor
Support for reference pictures
Comes with 6 custom scenes, 55 prefabs, 3 reference pictures and over 50 hi-res textures

Aoneweb(Posted 2005) [#6]
Look at Quill 3D

Gord(Posted 2005) [#7]
Quill 3d seems to offer a lot for small bucks ,and the map builder is quite good, but some of Quill is a bit clunky and does not work too well.there seems to be no further development intended.( Unless someone knows better?)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
What tools are required byside a Modeller depends on the game engine. Most game Engines use their very own Level Editors. Level Editors usually are written for a game engine, not the other way!

It's simple to write a Level Editor if you know how the engine works, how it will handle things.

Personally I developed the Editor and the Engine parallely. If I add a feature in the engine, I just add a gui section that would allow the editor to make use of it, to set the parameters for it. So it's a good idea to make the gui expandable.