Bob3D help needed

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Bob3D help needed

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
How do you rotate a mesh without messing up the animations in CharacterFX, e.g. rotate the bones with the mesh

I tried selecting every bone and doing the same rotation but the bones end up in the wrong place relative to the mesh.
I also tried it with 'affect children' turned on and off

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not sure of what you ask...

also, quite a time since I have not cfx installed

But...In cfx my way of doing stuff was just making a bone for the weapon, so, would rotate, move, etc, that joint for only that one.

But not sure of your problem...Maybe you'r not using well the coords system ? (check if u'r using world, local, etc..It's usually best local, for rotations. That's the axes orientation.)

Not sure of what u mean...If I remember well, cfx was like most animators: if u rotate the very parent joint, the root, u'll rotate everything, mesh and bones.

But i can't remember even what I did 5 mins ago... ;)

Sorry if I don't remember to come back here....I don't have much time, lately, but I also forget.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
As far as I know, you have to set the object mode (not the animation editor), then select everything (geometry, bones, everything), set the global mode and then rotate it. But to be honest, I'm afraid you have to do this before you are animating the character, I guess the orientation of the bones in the animation sequence are absolute.

An other thing you can do is: go to the animation mode and select the top bone, that is parent of all other bones in the hierarchy. Then Rotate it the way you want and set a key. If this bone has further keys in the sequence, you may rotate them too.

I wonder why you want to rotate them since CFX stores the orientation correctly AFAIK.

However, I'd suggest to implement an optional Rotation Parameter in the Loading config files of your engine, so the engine can handle both, correctly rotated chars and upsidedown chars etc.

Ok, sorry, I'm not Bob3D, so this is not my business :) anyway, I hope it's gonna help you.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
Whenever I export to blitz3D the models are always backwards.-probably because of the OpenGL-DirectX transition.
Thanks to both of you Ill try out your advice.