Cartography shop

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Cartography shop

Gord(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just downloaded the demo of cs . The examples are of single rooms. Is it possible to do multiple adjoining rooms with this software. I am used to the way Maplet works but at first glance cs looks like an ordinary 3d program, Can anyone give me a clue ( or two) ?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
check out the www.leadwerks.com website and http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ for even more info.

You can make very large maps with CS, light them and export them, create objects and load them in, add 3d sound, use my doors code to implement doors and keys, and lots of cool stuff. The new version (5) coming whenever will allow all kinds of extra stuff which I am not sure if I can mention yet.

Maplet is good though, and with the associated tools droplet etc you can get some excellent results.

Also remember you can load bsp's of one sort into B3d so if you know how to use the Quake tools I think you can export to a format B3d can load, but youd need to ask someone with more knowledge about that (Quoole editor or something I think).

There are other tools which allow building of rooms/levels so have a good look around first, befor eyou spend any money as you may be able to do what you want with a lesser tool.

(Quill is still about somewhere too - ahh I see you have tried that tool) - edit.

Giles is a great tool too btw - especially where lighting is concerned.

Milkshape is also a great 3d tool, and Psionic has a load of tutorials on how B3d users can get excellent results from it (also it is cheap).

For all around flexibility and fututre proofing I would suggest a combination of Milkshape and Gile[s] if I were asked to specify the best/economically and user friendly wise. Milkshape also allows you to animate objects so you can have swinging signs, doors which open and close, if you get adventurous chests, and even people.

Having said that CShop is soooo easy to use.

IPete2.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#3]
Never heard of Droplet. Where can I see that?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
I recommend CShop as a map editor. It is a fantastic tool!

Look for Droplet in the Toolbox:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=24

TroM(Posted 2005) [#5]
IPete2, hows 'The farm' doing?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#6]
Sorry to hiujack this thread...

...still on hold due to so much work - at the moment I nearly can't go to sleep at night because my deadlines are fast approaching!!

but I hope to resurrect it later this year (maybe end of next month).

IPete2.

Berserker [swe](Posted 2005) [#7]
Where can i find milkshape? i use Maplet and Droplet and CShop right now, but adding doors elevators etc, would be very nice.

Right now if i get stuck with my programming i tend to polish my maps instead, so ... well it can never be good enough.

Gord(Posted 2005) [#8]
I just can,t see how Cartography shop does large maps.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#9]
CShop 4.1 (which you can upgrade to once you buy) allows you to assign objects to a vis group. You can show and hide vis groups to hide large sections of your map while you work on other parts.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#10]
CShop 4.1 (which you can upgrade to once you buy 4.0) allows you to assign objects to a vis group. You can show and hide vis groups to hide large sections of your map while you work on other parts.

Berserker [swe](Posted 2005) [#11]
wow that map looks sweet! God job there halo.
The lights doesent seem to wrok very well in my maps but i havent given it alot of tries, anyway maybe you know why my player falls through the map if "map = LoadAnimMesh()".

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#12]
Because you have to enable collision on each mesh in your map!

If you have lighting problems, ask on the forum at leadwerks.com.

Berserker [swe](Posted 2005) [#13]
Oh, stupid me... Well then i have to be able to name them in CShop somehow like "StoneWall_1","CementFloor_18","Ladder_Office_1" or something, seems a little bit awkward* for large maps. But right now im eeger* to create a fully functional elevator in my map by the same principle so... i'll look at the leadwerks forum.

Thanks
* Excuse my english i dont know this word

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#14]
Beserker... take a look at Rob's Cubed demo... the code is commented and easy enough to follow...

it may open up some insights to the collision thing... as well as some other insights...

yeah... really nice looking rendering Josh...

--Mike

Berserker [swe](Posted 2005) [#15]
Well maybe when i asked about the "LoadAnimMesh()", my level works fine with the standard "Level = LoadMesh("Maps\Map1.x")" it's just that i would like to search my level for children eg. "FindChild(map,elevator)" in order to have elevators and doors and player-start-locations.

So the collisions works, but thanks for the concern though.

Now i have made a new map in CShop and put different parts into VIS-groups. Will they be able to find if i search for children in my "Map=LoadAnimMesh("Maps\maps1.x")" ?

Does it matter what fileformat i have on my maps? How do i do? *sigh*