Painting a Landscape

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Painting a Landscape

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello,

I'm trying to paint a landscape. I've tried all the terrain tools in the toolbox, and I've searched the web, but I cannot find a good tool for painting a simple heightmap. I tried Terrain Media Generator, and it was the best, but I had to scale the texture to fit the terrain, and that made it extremely blurry. I need a tool that will let me paint on a heightmap - I just want the low parts a sand texture and the high parts a grass texture. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
No Enemies

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#2]
Urg...

DH(Posted 2005) [#3]
Photoshop?

trb(Posted 2005) [#4]
One thing I've found helps mask the blurriness is if you texture the entire terrain with a second "detail" texture (like "sand grain"ish)on top of the first layer and scale it like 4x4 so even up close it looks good.

When dealing with terrains, I use total terrain to paint colors, then use the method above. You'd be suprised how good this looks! You could also try loading the heightmap in your favorite paint and texturing/coloring it, then save as a seperate file. load the heightmap, then texture with your new colormap. (try the detail layer with this too)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks trb! I'll try that...

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
It works well! Very well!

But I think when Stuart Morgan's "World Creator" comes out, I'll probably use that...

TroM(Posted 2005) [#7]
Try PnP terrain creator...

http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#8]
Wow that looks like a cool terrain editor!! Thanks for the link!

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#9]
But I think when Stuart Morgan's "World Creator" comes out, I'll probably use that...

Sorry to say but I hadnt really planned on releasing it as its specifically tailored for my game. Not sure how useful it would be for general heightmap/colourmap use as the terrains in my game are huge. (It would need some major changes)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#10]
Wow, PnP looks really nice. Thanks for the link! Looks like it does textures too :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#11]
You could have a go with my latest effort:

http://www.d-grafix.com/softwareted.html

Its a terrain editor capable of vertex color, texture blending and exporting heightmaps, b3d etc. It can also do enormous 'on-going' worlds.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#12]
T.ED looks like the best one so far (considering the price).

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#13]
T.ED is a greating looking terrain development tool. I really appreciate the texture blending, the ease of use, the stability. The drag tool allows those special touches to create bridges, arches, even cliff overhangs. Great things like auto texturing based on elvation, auto tile blending, light mapping, and more.

T.ED continues to get better with each version. The documentation is easy to follow, the sample programs are clear and easy to understand, support of the author who pays attention to details is outstanding.

I've requested a couple of features, and I look forward to integrating ODE Physics with the great landscapes. T.ED continues to get better, and better. Check it out guys.

Thanks to Dan at D-Grafix for making my projects look better!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#14]
That sounds like a full-blown testimonial to me. :D

SabataRH(Posted 2005) [#15]
I;ve always been fascinated with alpha blending terrain creators... Never even heard of TED until now. Nice piece of work ! I've had great fun playnig with the demo and seeing what I could comeup with.

I'm still waiting for a terrain editor that will assign textures based on height, ie: grass, sand, rock, stone, snow altitudes.. WOuld this be possible in TED?

Thanks for a great product.

Wayne(Posted 2005) [#16]
Yes, TED can assign textures based on height.
I believe Dan is working on adding slope into the auto texturing equation as well. Hopefully something like this:

Start Elev, End Elev, Start Slope, End Slope, Texture#, Strength

Now that will really rock!

stayne(Posted 2005) [#17]
Yep, PnP is VERY nice. I'm a proud owner of PnP and have to say that every option I could ever dream of is already there, and the workflow is as smooth as it can get. It does in fact do autotexturing (even autoterraining for the lazy like myself) quite well. And yep, you can set the angle (among other options) of the texture placement for every single texture, allowing for some seriously beautiful terrains in a few clicks.

What I love most about PnP is the fact that you can work with heightmap sectors. Once you're ready for export, you can export the sectors according to whatever size/scale you want. I own the Standard edition, which means I have access to up to 36 sectors... that's 36 1024x1024 heightmaps (or whatever size I want)... makes for a pretty large world.

And yes, the edges automatically match up PERFECTLY.

PnP is far more powerful that what it seems at first. I'm pimping this app because the devs will bend over backwards for you and do whatever it takes to ensure you're satisfied... so quick it'll make you wonder if they sleep :)

Top notch customer service all the way.

Cheers,

Mark

TroM(Posted 2005) [#18]
I second that!

Avrigus(Posted 2005) [#19]
The big question is does PnP export terrains in .B3D format?

TroM(Posted 2005) [#20]
Yes, it does, why dont you try before posting?

Iamhere(Posted 2005) [#21]
Scapemaker for Heightfield Terrains
Homepage is in German ,I use it and it is a great program
http://www.shedeki.net/sm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=47