XSI: Foundation

Community Forums/Developer Stations/XSI: Foundation

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, I just bought XSI: Foundation and I am waiting for the resellers to get thier act together.....grrrr

Anyway, I know there are a few people here who use XSI, so just wondering what kind of complications you have run into (if any) and what you hcave used it for?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#2]
We "use" it at work... meaning that we have several licences, softs itself and even licence servers set-up, but have been unable to make the move from LW to XSI as of yet. We have so many projects going on that are based on LW art/code paths that XSI have to wait month or two. It looks good though, especially the rigging and animation (compared to LW). If only someone would make a XSI-2-B3D exporter... would be a dream!

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#3]
Mustang, do u use b3d at future mark then?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]

Mustang, do u use b3d at future mark then?

:) heh... of course not, but I intend to use it (XSI) for my own Blitz stuff later on.

We have here at work own custom data format for 3DMarks and such... we used use straight LWO's years ago but that was far from ideal format - GPUs want their stuff very spesific ways, so we did a converter that converted LWO's to our optimized data format which was fast to load to the GPU.

Playing around with high-end shaders really needs a lot of custom coded stuff; not many if any model/scene format for example knows anything about shaders and such.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#5]
Does anyone know offhand how to get an xsi enveloped/animated mesh into b3d? I can't seem to get it.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#6]
Dunno what you mean by animated mesh, but boned/skinned characters and such can be exported as .X (DX8) and then converted to .B3D with Ultimate Unwrap for example.

http://www.softimage.com/download/xsi/converters/microsoft/default.htm

http://www.unwrap3d.com/formats.aspx

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#7]
yea, envelope is what xsi (and lightwave too i think) calls skinning

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#8]
so besides using ultimate unwrap.... there is currently no direct pipeline between xsi and b3d? XSI does have a .x exporter, but I cant seem to get it to export the animations. If they exist... blitz is not recognizing them.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#9]
so besides using ultimate unwrap.... there is currently no direct pipeline between xsi and b3d? XSI does have a .x exporter, but I cant seem to get it to export the animations. If they exist... blitz is not recognizing them.

Blitz is DX7, so it can't load DX8 .x's. DX7 .x's don't support skeletal animation. Yes, you do need to use something to convert it, and Ultimate Unwrap is the best multi-format convertor I know of.

gellyware(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks ;)

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yup, what Sybixsus said... should have been more precise and explain why you need to convert the .X.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yup , I have UU and XSI and that think works neat with some work of you.

BTW, there's collada(seems xsi fully supported, Mustang, seems animation, camera, bones, weights, scene, supported...) and dotxsi export (which was thought for realtime 3d export, as far as I think: Softimage I think it has a team for just rt 3d stuff, or that i deduced from the printed intro book they sent me with the box...Oh, and ain't it sweet they give you as well a full linuxe version too...)

I neither have had the option to get at it fully, yet, bit till now all has worked... I'm now working full time at a company making gfx , sprites and tiles, and some 3d for mobile games...So not much chance for it, neither a need of using much of it for a while...maybe I could convince my company to buy it, is dirty cheap compared with others.

So, being there dtoxsi free max importer, being also Collada format starting to get huge packages support, *.x export is yet a good option if no coders available for plugin making, or just tools/importers/converters making for the two better formats I mention..

*.x will have certainly some limits, like 65,000 tris, if I am not wrong, and some others. Quite usable for the usual game character task, though.
You wont break the roof limit of b3d characters any time soon, for that. yep, the fact is this kind of forces u to have UU and xsi. But for me are two clear jewels. Only thing is I always recommend TFT screens...lol, now I'm earning good bucks again i think gonna buy that Hyunday imagequest L90+ TFT...doubt is if a sony with xblack would be better...
As working with xsi is...well, you need solid good and relaxing 1280x1024..definitely a crt at that with 60hz is a nono...have tried...And my tricks for avoiding that res in the UI are not as satisfactory as I though, though I can work anyway...

Sorry if I forget to reply later on here, I may remember or may not, or just not have time... ;)

Alberto(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hello

Does XSI 4.2 Foundation supply prefabricated biped and quadruped skeletons?
If so,are basic animation available ? walk, run etc

Thanks in advance

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#14]

Foundation Character Rigging

Standard biped and quadruped character creation just got easier in XSI v.4.2 Foundation, with a new streamlined workflow. In one place you can access all your rigging guides as well as generate film quality rigs.

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/features/

This video will demonstrate nicely how easily you can do things with XSI:

http://www.softimage.com/downloadsrv/process.asp?file=/Videos/v4/Foundation_Characters.zip

Here's the comparision of the packages:

http://www.softimage.com/products/Xsi/v4/comparison/default.asp

Foundation is missing in character department only the "Advanced Rigs, Guides and Characters" but it has "Standard Biped and Quadruped Rigs and Guides".