nvidia melody normal maps

Community Forums/Developer Stations/nvidia melody normal maps

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've got a problem, normal maps i create in melody don't work. In Melody the generated normalmaps work fine, but in any other program i cannot texture the model with this normal map.. the model appears totally black.. what am i doing wrong?

raitsun

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#2]
might be that nvidia and Ati have inverted green Y. Not sure why it would come out black. From what I understand Ati and Nvidia normal maps are incompatible because of this.

Can you reverse them somehow in code? I don't know, but it seems like a real pain, particularly if you want a small game distributed online. And the extra time required to do them properly, and the small number of low spec systems that can use them properly has put me off of more fancy features in games I make.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't want to use this normal map as real normal map... just want to use a tangent space one in Blitz3d as kind of Bump map.. without dot3lighting-update-stuff

but it doesn't work and i dunno why... normal map look ok

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#4]
i think it is a problem with the texture coordinates. Is someone of you using melody? How can i make correct texture coordinates for this normal maps?
raitsun