Made a dropper (free)

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Made a dropper (free)

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#1]
I’ve made a dropper for blitz basic, it saves scripts that load each object as individual types so you can interact more with the map in games.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=123

I just want some feedback on it.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#2]
Has anyone managed to use it?

Sterling(Posted 2005) [#3]
I had a quick play with this and ummmm actually this is pretty good.......... just a few things...... if you have multiple obects selected its difficult to know which ones they actually are.

Are custom types implemented yet? I assume these a for invisable placeholders like player start postions etc?

The interface is a little clunky and needs a tidy up.

But overall pretty good, I'm going to keep an eye on this, the ability to use terrains and place objects on the terrain is what i'm looking for. Off the top of my head I cant think of any of the other droppers that let you use terrains.

erbbysam(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm currently working on one for a game I'm working on and I have about what you have but without as many options... I may post it when I'm finished but its not going to be open source but it will probably come with an opensource file reader.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#5]
@Luke.H
This looks like a terrific tool. Thanks for posting!
When I get a chance to give it a more in-depth try out, I'll post you some feedback here.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#6]
Are custom types implemented yet?

No sorry, I am trying to put it in the next update. Yes, your right they are player start positions, etc and you can set-up fields in the map editor.

Thanks for the feedback

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
I really love droppers. My favorite type of Blitz tool, besides the IDE, and terrain tools.

Looks great.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#8]
Just some quick tips:
-Press Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy objects.
-Press space to unselect objects.

A swamp world

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#9]
Love to try it out but "My Current Security Settings do not allow this file to be downloaded..." even when I tell it to turn OFF security... Interesting

big10p(Posted 2005) [#10]
Rook, that's probably because it's on a freewebs site, which IE automatically blocks, for some reason. You need to click Tools/Internet Options.../, then click on Security tab, Restricted Sites icon, then Sites button. Now, remove freewebs from the list.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#11]
Seriously, get an other browser. I mean, MSIE... what the - I guess Mozilla Firebird or Opera will do a mucho better job. And while you're at it: wipe out Outlook Express.

Luke: nice Dropper, congrats!

Something I'd like to see:
-animated meshes, with some scripting options (speed, loop, oneshot etc.)
-parent relations (so you could use an animated thing as a parent)

Keep it up.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yes, I am going to do that soon,

I want animated meshes for doors, etc.
And I was thinking of using parents.

By the way is there anyone who can act as a mirror (for the .zip file), please post a link to it here. (but please don't post it anywhere else)

SkyCube(Posted 2005) [#13]
Where did you guys download this tool? I clicked on the link, but a page comes out saying that the site is frozen. I'd really like to try it, are there any alternative download sites?

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#14]
I run out of Bandwidth but it will reset on the 8th.
I had 466 hits and used 678.6 Mb.

Anyone who has download the file, (Please!) could you act as a mirror and post a link here for the time being.

Sterling(Posted 2005) [#15]
I've uploaded it here guys.........

http://wwhaak.customer.netspace.net.au/files/files-BWAv010.zip

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#16]
Thanks Sterling,

I'll put it in the toolbox.

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#17]
I tried it out Luke. I didn't like the camera controls much... I'd prefer more "game-like" control (AWSD + mouse for moving around). The drag control is pretty good, but it won't let me move an object off of the "level" that's included and put it out in empty space. The dialogs are unfinished (especially the numeric entry for X,Y,Z and stuff). There doesn't seem to be a way to "drop" an object and then position it in 3D space... i.e., for lights, I want to move them vertically above the floor.

Anyway, it's a great start so far!

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#18]
EddieRay, you can position object in an empty with the grid by pressing enter while you are dropping it and using shift to move the grid up and down.

Yes the dialogs and controls need some work.

sniper_boy147(Posted 2007) [#19]
I've been using this, and I feel that to make it better, you should have some way of making the objects in the world file more interactive with the main program, for instance; the objects should be able to be manipulated, deleted, scaled, etc. using the regular Blitz functions.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#20]
I wouldn't expect that any further improvements are likely after two years....

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#21]

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#22]
Nice picture!
You mean that:
The skeleton is any programmer who waits to sell his programs
And the guy represents Bill who tries to show the right direction!
:)

Luke.H(Posted 2007) [#23]
lol at the bringing the thread back after 2 years, it’s unlikely that I would even see this.

Yeah, I don’t code the editor very well when I started, I was still learning, and it became very hard to maintain. object-oriented code is also needed badly

Here’s the source code if you like: (I'm not sure if it builds)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/10/162152/Blitz%20world%20assembler%20source.zip
(warning: having a look now, the code is scarily poor :P)

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#24]
Hi (tu) Luke.H,

I try to download the zip and run the main bb program. It says
Function 'api_enablemenuitem' not found

What is missing?
Does anyone encounter the same problems?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#25]
Hi all,

Did anyone run the source prg?

Luke111(Posted 2008) [#26]
Oh my gosh jfk "Mozilla FireBIRD"??? Firefox.

Litobyte(Posted 2008) [#27]
Well, maybe Luke doesn't know the very first code name and real name of the great known browser firefox was infact Firebird.

It was also distributed as a .zip file at that time, and IE4/5 were crap, so I was so happy about my brand new big flavoured FIREBIRD ;-)