People leaving Blitz3D?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/People leaving Blitz3D?

Mike V(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

Quick question here...

As implied in the subject, I'm kinda confused as to what's going on with the Blitz3D dev community.

In looking around the website, I'm noticing that nothing new is really going on with the programs I was following for a while.

I tried contacting the author of A.L.E. to see if he's continued development on that and what's new with it - no response.

I tried looking into TerraEd 2 to see how that's going.. nothing new and from what I can see Filax hasn't even been around.

I tried to download the demo for terrain shader - all the links are broken. The one to Idigicon goes to a "page not found"...

What's going on here? Is the community dying off or something?

Thanks!

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't know what's up with those apps specifically (btw, I recommend FLE for creating terrain) but in general I think we're in a bit of a holding pattern. At least I am; while I am still using Blitz3D, working on those projects has fallen way down on my list of priorities. Basically waiting for the 3D module for BlitzMax, I am focused on other projects right now (specifically, my soon-due thesis paper.)

Knotz(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well, I'm not leaving. Although i'm tempted everyday by the big promises from TSE, 3dgamestudio and Truevision 6.5.

Blitz3d sits in my repetoire of tools which *work*. And tools which just *work* tend to be ugly, minimalistic and are alway criticized for being behind their time.

The community is a bit in limbo. Which is normal considering the recent launch of BlitzMax. Some people where a bit disappointed or expected too much, others are probably scratching their head, pondering when to jump on the BlitzMax wagon. Whatever. You have to consider it takes years for any programming language to gain momentum. I'll bet BlitzMax will be no exception too that rule.

So it seems have to work and live with Blitz3d for at least another year. Once people, and especially the middleware and tool makers, understand that some of the confusion will disappear.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
Sine wave... cyclic... Interest grows and wanes like the waves man... BMAX caused a shift in the tide. The toolmakers and the middle guys are learning the nwe thing and seeing if they can easily port to what is possible (IMO) and new people are jumping on board.

Joe and Knotz are right... Relax. : ) No deaths in the family.

-RZ

Mike V(Posted 2005) [#5]
Oh.. no panic here at all.. Just a little bummed out that the two tools I had the most interest in using (TerraEd and ALE) don't seem to be under development anymore.

Was kinda eager to see what new things had been added to either of them.. from what I can see, nothing has.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#6]
To me Blitz3D is the only option... BMAX does not have 3D at all, plus I have so many B3D spesific stuff bought like ParticleCandy, Gile[s], JV-ODE and Sswift shadow system that even if BMAX would have 3D module, I would still stick with B3D. Newer is not always better for many reasons, and ppl are still SO far away using B3Ds full potential.

Skitchy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hi. I never got an e-mail regarding ALEs future (possibly got filtered), but I can tell you that it *is* alive and well. I have no major new features planned ATM - ALE does what is was meant to do already - but I still fix any bugs that are reported and answer tech support etc.

Mike V(Posted 2005) [#8]
@Skitchy,

Hi there.. Ahh.. well that's good to, errr.. "hear" :-)

I had actually sent an email a few weeks back about it.. I possibly sent it to the wrong address.. or it could have been filtered out somewhere along the line, as you suggested.

If you remember, you and I had a dialog going back and forth for a little bit.. I'd suggested adding skybox, or at least background color/gradient support so a designer could get a better "big picture" of how things would look with the fog and lighting, etc. more as a complete scene before it's even imported into their respective engine. There are other things we talked about, but that was one of them.

In any case, glad to hear you're still around :-).