Quality Sprites

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Quality Sprites

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all

Where do you all get your sprites from ?
Man, there are practically no worthwhile sprites online, do you have your own artists ? Or are you artists ?

I would be willing to pay for sprites too if anyone knows of anyone or a places to buy from.

Thanks

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#2]
It's damn great that Adobe Photoshop 5.0+ feels like second nature to me. I make my sprites from scratch and I don'tneed to do any graphic hunts. Learn a good image editing program. It's a pain in the ass in the beginning, but after the first phase is over, it's well worth it.

MattVonFat(Posted 2005) [#3]
Paint's a good program.

Also i think someone posted these links in a tutorial a while back but i couldnt find it:

http://pixeltutorial.cjb.net Which is a tutorial on sprites and:
http://pixelation.cjb.net which is a forum.

Hope these help.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#4]
I draw my own sprites, using either Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.

They have a somewhat steep learning curve (dealing with layers, etc.) but once you 'get' it, they are amazing to work with.

Now as far as 'quality' is concerned: you do need to have some talent as well of course. :-)

I personally feel that I can whip up some pretty decent sprites, but don't ask me about sound. Absolutely no way I'll ever be able to put together any background music for a game that won't make your eardrums bleed, to put it midly.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks guys, I will definately take a look at your suggestions. I aint that good at pixel art, actually I suck, but I guess now is the time to change that :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Well, if youre no good with pixel art, you will probably be great with retrogames :P

Im in no way an artist and i managed to make a sweet 2d platform game that i am currently porting over to blitz (slowly.. too busy!!!). It will include source code of course, just like the original.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
Quite a good thing to do with retro games is grab the original gfx, double the res, colour them in and smooth the edges a bit.

aab(Posted 2005) [#8]
or/and apply a filter or two / play game with a super-sai-engine-filter and printscreen the sprites with the effect applied....
and if its <= snes quality/res, there are plenty of forums of people making sprites and sharing them in competitions, fangames etc.