UU3D: Using Multiple UV Maps...

Community Forums/Developer Stations/UU3D: Using Multiple UV Maps...

po(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a model that requires me to make a seperate UV map and texture for certain parts of it, but I don't know how to use all of the textures on one model in blitz(3D).
For example, say I made a 3D model of a car, and there wasn't enough room to UV map the whole car in the detail that I want, so I make a different UV map for the wheels and the body and the engine. I would also make 3 different textures for those parts of the car. In blitz3D, how would I use all of the UV maps and all of the textures on a single model?

-Thanks

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
this is just a guess... as i'm a relative coding airhead when it comes to really doing something with Blitz...

... but i would
(1)load each texture
(2)textureblend each with the preceeding, just to make sure
(3)entitytexture each succeeding index each with a uvmap

anyway... someone will come along shortly who really knows what they're doing and explain it to you... in the meantime, this should get ya started...

--Mike

JKP(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think you can export a b3d with textures using two uvsets directly from UU. Look in the options for b3d export.

If you are doing the texturing manually in Blitz, you need to use this command:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=texturecoords&ref=goto

Remember that you are still limited to two uv sets. You might want to try using more than one surface. The associated speed hit shouldn't be too bad unless you use a lot of separate surfaces and it will probably make things easier.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#4]
You can do two UV sets in Ultimate Unwrap, but from your description of what you are trying to do, that's not what you're after. You want a single UV set, with different materials/textures applied to certain polygons, and with the UVs overlapping for polygons with different textures.

po(Posted 2005) [#5]
hmm. Yea what I basicly need is more space for UV's in UU3D, without moving the size past 512x512. So I figured the only way to get more space is to use 2 UV maps..
I will try what you guys suggested.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#6]
No, what I'm saying is that you don't need more space for UVs, you overlap UVs. In essense you 'recycle' the same space to use for more UVs.

po(Posted 2005) [#7]
Oh? Didn't know I could do that. So I have multiple "layers" of UV's, so I could make multiple textures for those layers?
If I do do that, how would I use all those textures on one model in blitz? I couldn't go:
entitytexture car,wheeltex
entitytexture car,enginetex
entitytexture car,bodytex

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well no, you couldn't just apply three textures to the entire model. Each texture would have to be on a separate surface. You can easily split the model into several surfaces by assigning multiple materials in Ultimate Unwrap.

If you need to apply the textures in code, then you would have to retrieve the surfaces in order to apply textures (via brushes.) However, if you don't need to apply the textures in code, then the textures you apply to the model in Ultimate Unwrap will automatically be loaded along with the model when you LoadMesh.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#9]
Each texture would have to be on a separate surface.

hey jH... that may not be entirely true...

the latest version of UUnWrap 3D (version 2 i think) does allow for multiple uv sets on the same model.

map one uv as you normally would... save the uv map... select 2nd uvset from the menu... map it a totally different way from the way you mapped the first uvset if you like... save that one...

now in Blitz, load your model... set the texture blend to 3 and load the second uvmap texture.

it'll work... at least for 2 uv sets... now for 3, well...

hey po, you gettin any of this... i hope i'm on the right track, and this is of some help to you.

oh yeah, make sure that you save as with the multiple uvsets box checked...

[added]

ok.. wait one... jH might have been right after all...

you may in fact, only be able to have one texture per surface after all... but the fact that you can apply multiple uv sets might mean a lil more flexibilty...

i'm still looking at this.

[added again]

nope... i think i was right... you can save the 2nd uvmap as outlined above, and it will be added, but the different mapping thing i may have gotten wrong...

... still looking

.. sorry

--Mike

po(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks, i'll look into that.
Can you save a model as a .b3d through UU3D?
I don't see it anywhere..

jH: I didn't know that you could save the textures along with the model, how would you do this? What I do with my models is once i'm done UV mapping, I save as a .3ds then export a UV map to draw on in photoshop. I don't get to see the texture being applied in UU, and the textures don't save to the models when I export to .3ds.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#11]
no... i don't think b3d is one of the options available...

.x, .3ds, .obj, and a few others... but unfortunately, no .b3d

--Mike

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2005) [#12]
@po

You need a plugin to import/export B3d

Download here: > Third party plugins

http://www.unwrap3d.com/downloads.aspx

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
hey B... do you know if the plugin exports the multiple uvs?

--Mike

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2005) [#14]
@Red yes UU saves the 2.UV-Set,but you have to assign the
texture in Blitz.
something like this:
Global Objekt = LoadMesh("untitled1.b3d")
rust=LoadTexture ("WxRusty39.png")
TextureBlend rust,3
TextureCoords rust,1 ;Use the 2 UV-Set
EntityTexture objekt,rust,0,1

@po

when the UV-mapping is done > right click in the
scene Window on materials >add
right click on the new material(Untitled)>Properties
select Maps >diffuse >Bitmap

after that : Properties >change >(select your Texture)
Close the window.
Select the whole Mesh ( Select > All)
right click on the new material and assign.
Make shure that the mesh and the texture are in the same
folder before you load the model in blitz.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#15]
thx BL

--Mike

po(Posted 2005) [#16]
Yeah, thanks.

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#17]
For example:-

I hide the wheel UV's so just the car UV's are showing and export a car UV template...

now I hide the Cars UVs and show the Wheels UV's and export another UV map for the wheel alone...

create 2 textures based on the 2 seperate UV's (or more depending on how many seperate objects with different textures you want) and in unwrap create 2 new materials, one with the car bitmap texture, one with the wheel texture and assign those textures to the parts that need em...

export to b3d and load in Blitz...