converting IK, lightwave

Community Forums/Developer Stations/converting IK, lightwave

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#1]
is anybody using IK in there riggs and then converting to keyframes (baking)

my problem is..im trying to make the left hand hold the barrel of a gun that is held in the right hand, i have set up the IK chain from shoulder to hand, and parented a Null to the gun, then set goal of hand to null of gun..works fine in Lightwave, but when i convert the rotation on the hand is gone, even after keyframing (baking) all objects all frames, by baking keyframes this should store the rotation of the hand bone itself...shouldn`t it ?

what am doing wrong peeps :( any suggestions even wild shots

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#2]
no idea o lw, but in other programs..

seems ur bake function is not baking to fk per member rotations?

Can you manually keyframe local hand rotation in certain important frames? (ie:select the hand, keyframe as local hand rotation at start of the moment it grabs the gun or when stuff starts to be wrecked once baked, keyframe again at the end of action, when u dont mind if it goes free again.Maybe edit the inbetwen curve, maybe apply some blending of final and i flw can)

looks a lot like blender system.

I just don't know a word bout lw.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#3]
yep it looks like i will have to do it manually and sack the IK on the hand, it worked so well in lightwve , unless i can figure out whats going wrong

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#4]
ahhhhHa

apparently its not possible to bake any object that has a "MatchGoalOrientation"...but gud ole Google always comes in handy

plugin to bake IK (MatchGoal) to keyframes
problem solved
http://www.animationsnippets.com/plugins/lightwaveplugins/matchgoalorientation/index.html

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#5]
I was about to say that... As strange as it is you can't bake every animation control you have, at least not without plug-ins. We've had cases where we had to bake the model from end to start to get a correct baked result :)

But we are in the process of moving to XSI now, partly because of the "WTF" problems LW has... it's a great program but has some bad deeply rooted bugs in the animation works that should have been fixed ages (years) ago... and instead of fixing the old basically working system they invent IK Boosters and other non-usable marketing hype stuff.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#6]
apparently its a well known problem...(nobody told me) and Newtek have looked at it

motion options, simpleOrientConnstraint plugin included with LW8, i havn`t tried this yet but the MatchGoalOrientation plugIn works fine

if i EVER swap from LW it will max or maya but not for a long time

you dont know of any other plugins like PViewMC that copy camera to perspective that work with LW8 by any chance ;)

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#7]

any other plugins like PViewMC that copy camera to perspective

Nope, sorry! Never needed anything like that... why are you using it?

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#8]
I find Navigating around is a lot easier using the perspective tools,
When you get a good position and want a render from that angle just copy camera to perspective but it only works with 7.5