Can;t import from MilkShape

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Can;t import from MilkShape

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Upto now I've been using .3ds meshes from RealSoft3D, but there's some UV texturing errors giving me grief. I've got a copy of MilkShape seeing as everyone raves about it and though RS offers much better modelling, I was thinking I could export from MS to clean up UV/vertex errors (whatever my problem is).

Trouble is, everything I export from MS is blank! I've exported .3ds files and .b3d files, they load okay, but nothing shows. I've tried flipmesh() in case they were inside out, but they're not.

What am I doing wrong?!

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#2]
Are you sure the camera in Blitz is far enough away from the model and pointing at it?? could be inside the model...

some models have very large scales or very small, might be worth playing with entityscale see if they show up ;-)

I cant see why they wouldn't work exported straight from milkshape!!

What version of milkshape are you using? 1.74??

GfK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Could be that the axis of the model you're exporting is not located at 0,0,0 in milkshape before you export (in other words, when you load it into blitz, the model axis may well be at 0,0,0 but the mesh itself could be miles away out of view).

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#4]
MilkShape's version 1.7.3. Best I can gather the objects are centered and sized, as I size them and position them at 0,0,0 in RS before export. Would MS not import them at those coordinates? The models certainly appear in the middle of the viewports in MS which I take to mean they're centred. I can import them fine into MS too - they're just not visible in B3D :(

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#5]
Could you post your files for us to look at? Models and code.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#6]
While assembling a test scene I think I've found my problem. My fault, which comes as no surprise! When exporting a .obj from RealSoft (RealSoft's .3ds files aren't imported into MilkShape) there's a scaling factor which I left as 1.0. Then found my objects were 1% original size. Exporting with a scale of 100.0 fixes things.

Thanks for the help anyhows. Sorry for being such a doofus!

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#7]
Easily done m8, just glad you figured it out ;-)