Anim8or animations to B3D?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Anim8or animations to B3D?

nadia(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there any way to export 3d animation created in Anim8or and convert them to B3D format with the animations intact?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm afraid no. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) You could try to get a Format describtion and then write an Importer for Blitz, or a Plugin for eg. Milkshape, if it's really worth the troubles.

Some time ago I tried Anim8or too since it suggested to be able to save 3DS Animations, but although one would believe the opposite, it can only export static 3DS.

If you don't already have a lot of finished animations, You maybe should think about to use an other tool, like the free Pacemaker or the cheap CharacterFX.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm afraid it's not trivial with the specs released for an8 format...I know from someone with quite expertise...

your chance, i freally want to stick to anim8or, is export from sequence mode the 3ds per frame, and then compile to md2 using quake modeller, and then skining in npherno nst 0.9b

but a long road, that is. Hard.

also, use npherno md3 compiler , quite easier, but not sure if drago's free dll would eat those non standard, one piece raw md3 animations...neither know the today's state of that lib.

My advice: buy Character Fx.

If want better control and want foot glued on floor to avoid sliding on certain moments, use blender, which is free, but ver y hard to learn to that point.Anyway, that'll be to export as md2 or md3...or x and purchase the 50$ Ultimate unwrap to convert x anim to b3d.

if its for hobby games, you may have enough with character fx, that directly outputs b3d and md2 .

or dowmload gmax and use mojo.gmaxsupport.com md3 plugin.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#4]
I also recommend CharacterFX. A lot of people like Milkshape because it's an all-in-one tool (ie. modeling and texturing too,) but it's animation tools are primitive at best.

The most interesting thing (okay, only interesting thing) about anim8or is that the developer is a software engineer who works for nVidia. Which I guess makes him one to complain to about shoddy OpenGL drivers.

nadia(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanx guys for your recommendations!
I’ve got CharacterFX and used it quite a bit. It’s not a bad tool for its price but as Bob3d mentioned above there are some quite important functionalities missing like pinning feet and hands in one position and that you cant load reference pictures into the background. This you can do in Milkshape but then the rest of the Milkshape animation tools are very thin.