looking for a pixel editor

Community Forums/Developer Stations/looking for a pixel editor

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#1]
Im looking for a good image editor to edit images pixel by pixel for graphics in my games that arent going to be any bigger than say 50x50. There are plenty out there but I need one for mac and I can't find a good one. Any suggestions?

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Use photoshop! (just put zoom at 500% and draw pix by pix)

SJB(Posted 2005) [#3]
Try Pixen http://www.opensword.org/Pixen/ its free.

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#4]
Well smacked myself that I didn't think of Photoshop, so I'll probably use that, but thanks SJB.

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#5]
Photoshop or Paint Shop pro, are the two widely used ( www.jasc.com )

Even Pro Pixel is pretty good. (if Pacific Software are still going)

you could infact use M$ Paint in the accessories in windows. Depends on how extreme you want to go with pixel manipulating.

SJB(Posted 2005) [#6]
hotoshop or Paint Shop pro, are the two widely used
He is looking for a Mac app.
I personally don't like Photoshop for pixel work. Mind you, I don't do much of that, so what do I know :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
Photoshop is pretty easy to use for pixel work, although the one annoying thing is the way grid snapping works.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
I find photoshop bloated for pixel manipulations, it's too abstract for such low-level hands-on pixel manipulation. It's doable, but not as intuitive as Deluxe Paint and the like.

Paintshop pro is not available on the Mac.

Another option to try is Graphic Converter. It's mainly for image format conversion but it now has a number of editing functions too. There are demo's, or you can buy a licence which gives you all updates free.

Or write your on in Blitzmax ;-D

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#9]
I personally don't like Photoshop for pixel work

It's actually pretty decent, provided that you turn off the anti-aliasing that's applied to most operations by default... Things like masking are a huge pain with anti-aliasing turned on. :-?

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#10]
search for Pro Motion
but i think it support only 256-color-images

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#11]
Does ProMotion run on Mac?
You could always bring out the Gimp...
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Clyde(Posted 2005) [#12]
-Or even create one in BMAX ;)

Grover(Posted 2005) [#13]
Gimp it up people - free, cross platform, and can do all photoshop does only more GNU like :-) Go the gimp! Have been using it for 2+yrs now (commercially and home).. wont go back to photoshop ever :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#14]
I dont see a very easy way to install GIMP. I know nothing about using a command line shell in OSX. I think it's just outrageous to expect people to have to compile or build the application in order to be able to use it. That's a big turnoff.

Anyone got tips on how to get GIMP installed easily?

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#15]
Angel,

As long as you have X11 installed, this one should just "work." ;)

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22990

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ok great, thanks!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#17]
Ok, so I waited patiently downloading and installing X11, and then downloading and installing this Gimp app. Now, when I try to run Gimp, it starts by saying it is caching fonts and then it dumps me into the X11 application.

What am I doing wrong?

I think I have plenty of memory - 288MB. OsX10.3.8. This is the first time I've installed X11 and Gimp.

Grover(Posted 2005) [#18]
Is it this one you have tried?
http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

also there is alot of help here <edit>
http://www.macgimp.org/

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#19]
yes the same one, and that website isn't much help. I'm about ready to give up on it.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#20]
After caching the fonts it will start a sort of wizard do configure Gimp, after that you will be able to run it.

Nicolas.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#21]
No it doesn't come up with the wizard at all. After it's cached the fonts, the osx menu bar disappears temporarily, then I'm dumped into the X11 application, nothing more happens.

I've given up on it and deleted it. *sigh* I tried an earlier version of it but that did the same thing. It might be because my osx installation is stripped down on this ibook due to a very small harddrive.

Oh well. I'll probably create my own graphics package soon anyway and I still have a Photoshop 6 demo I can use.

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#22]
Photoshop is pretty easy to use for pixel work, although the one annoying thing is the way grid snapping works.

toggle snap in the view menu, I turn it off and on constantly.

matt!(Posted 2005) [#23]
Try Graphic Converter, pre-installed on most Macs.

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#24]
GRAPHICSGALE

GRAPHICSGALE looks interesting, a japanese pixel pusher, there's an English version and a free lite version.

The lite doesn't have onionskin, i don't think, but the help files are pretty good.

<edit>oh, and it does an image strip</edit>

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#25]
That's Pc only. This is a thread about mac pixel software.