Creature Lab

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Creature Lab

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello

is anybody using Creature Lab by FXR Software (Sweden)?
I downloaded the demo version today and it looks great

Matty(Posted 2004) [#2]
I just had a brief look at it, it looks very good. I'd be interested to know what formats it exports to and what the polycount is, as I use Milkshape for modelling. The few random creatures I created look immensely better than anything I could ever model. Could be a very useful tool.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#3]
It exports the most important file format except the .x file, the complete list is available on their web site.
As far as polycount is concerned I e-mailed this question today

Matty(Posted 2004) [#4]
I just bought it, the standalone exports to .3ds, using milkshape's directx mesh tool you can reduce the polycount from around 8000 polys for most of the shapes to any lower value. I am not sure though if the company is still in existence as I found two different websites for the product, with different dates for some products, both in either 2001 or 2003.

I am quite pleased with the purchase - certainly makes modelling characters much easier as my modelling skills are pretty ordinary. And it even works well on my own low end system (500 Mhz AMD Geforce 2 MX 256 MB Ram).

I will put a picture here of something I made in a little while:

(picture should be here eventually)

EDIT:Picture:

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#5]
Cool.
Phew! It's not like Spine. I was scared that my idea was once again already invented.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#6]
Matty

Ok, 8000 polys can be acceptable for game programming.
Does Creature creator 1.6 ,stand alone,supply also male and female cloths ?
Can you import a third party .3ds mesh ?
If so, is it easy to integrate it with the library meshes, to create a seamless character?
Thanks in advance

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
seems like a poser for monsters ;)

There was one long ago, a a plugin for max.

8.000 is yet too much...dig the settings for if u can tweak it to ouput much less...even more in Blitz3d.

If u get to export something at least 2k tris, or a bit above, then it could be useful for realtime games...
Spcially if it outputs the model already uv mapped (like Poser does) automatically, as if not, actually will be a paint to uv map well this...ie: I model everything from scratch, and find uv mapping the most tedious part.

Good tool probably if don't want to learn modelling..

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#8]
ie, u don't need all those feet fingers...try to deactivate them, like you'd do with a cs skeleton...

Matty(Posted 2004) [#9]
@Alberto - Creature Creator stand alone does not supply clothing, nor hair. You can only import 3rd party .3ds meshes with the plugin versions not with the stand alone app. As well as selecting the bits and pieces to make the character you can also tweak the dimensions of them as well.

@Bob3d - yeah 8000 polygons is far too much - what I do is output the model with this amount of polygons then go into milkshape and use the directx mesh tools to reduce the polycount on each section of the model to varying degrees, ie feet and hands down to about 50 polygons each, torso/arms/legs at a total of about 500-700 polygons and drop the head from its starting value of about 2000-3000 down to about 500 as well.

I agree that it is a good tool if you don't want to learn modelling - I'm not likely to invest the time needed to become a decent modeller (art was never a strongpoint of mine) so this tool is pretty good for me.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#10]
Your workflow sounds nice...if you end up with a count you can load in b3d games ok, then, why not :)

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#11]
Matty
thanks for your reply.
My question was not clear, I did not mean lose clothing or lose hair .
Does Creature creator supply naked and bold human characters only ?

Matty(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yes Creature Creator supplies naked and bold human/monster characters only.