A New Remember That Post - A Physics 3D Engine...

Community Forums/Developer Stations/A New Remember That Post - A Physics 3D Engine...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#1]
... this time.

the one that everyone (ok, not everyone) was saying wasn't worth crapola... was too slow... etc... etc...

well, i just had a chance to play around with it in depth (not so deep in depth) and for what you are getting, it really aint that bad at all...

ok, lemme explain... you don't need any physics coding to get the result you are about to see, just build a model for the visual, add the collision spheres model based on that, add the mass representation model also based on that... and place it in the engine...

build a terrain, any x file terrain should work fine... place that in the engine...

and here's what you get...

http://home.att.net/~subbase2/3ImpactPhys.WMV

(626k dialup users right lick and save as)

the only code was to add to the vectors to make the thing go up a lil in response to keyhit (and of course instantiate the object and terrain and skybox)...

this is 'that 3DRAD Physics engine' 3Impact that someone brought up a lil while back...

it's now available for coding in c++ (actually straight procedural c), Delphi (pascal), and iBasic(Pro)...

i've really got a lil bit more to look at, this is the same one that i've been abused for showing the flying submarine in the desert from... well, this should rain down the remain shards of laughter upon me...

ahhh what the heck, someone might be interested in something like this.

http://www.3impact.com

--Mike

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well... What does this give that non-3d-engine physics engines like tokamak or newton don't?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#3]
client server networking, perpixel bumpmapping, sound, ready made ragdoll physics, and much more...

just build an object as outlined, place it in the engine, and it reacts to the environment...

now if you feel like wrapping tokamak or newton... hey, knock yourself out... but me, i'm lazy...

Submarine:=iBodySGCreate('mygame_res\seawolf_.spg',0.13);
SubmarineMesh:=iBodyMeshBumpCreate('mygame_res\seawolf.x','mygame_res\seawolfnormalmap.bmp',TRUE,Ball);

that's all i had to code to get the thing into the scene...

then...

Texture := iTextureCreate('mygame_res\seawolfmodel.bmp');
iMeshTextureSwap(BallMesh,Texture);

.. to texture it, and

iBodyEnable(Submarine)

(Delphi code by the way)

to get it enabled and aware of the terrain and other objects in the scene.

but hey... i'm assuming that physics lies somewhere in your immediate 3D development future... otherwise, ignore this thread and go download the latest Halflife addons... and be happy...

--Mike

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#4]
he has a point

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#5]
Red,
Can you setup different collision groups as in Blitz?
group A collides with C, group B collides with C,
but group A and B do not collide?

Also, the *.spg files: what are they? What program makes them? I don't recognize the extension.

What version of DX is it?

What version of Delphi are you using?

The demo program looks very good, and runs nicely on my machine.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
It doesn't look too bad. I don't like the way it handles multiple surfaces tho. See the bottom of this page:
http://www.3impact.com/3Impact_Engine/hulk7123/modeling.htm

I would also like to see more examples using boned animated meshes, and non-terrain locations.

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ok, I found that .spg files are created for collision detection and that a tool comes with it to make the files.

The multiple surfaces method is a bit odd.

Also, how can decals be made and used?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#8]
i'm just getting familiar with the api... this is the first bit of free time i've had (not really due to commitments here that i've been lax on and are also doing) to 'play' with it...

i'll be honest, i was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity and ease of getting an object into a fully responsive physics enabled 3d scene...

also, the perpixel bumpmapping (what originally got my interest again after putting this on the shelf a while back) seems to be acceptable, and again, simple to implement.

i'll be looking into the multiple surface aspect as well as sprites later today or tommorrow morning...

--Mike

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
the flying sub has returned!

Chaduke(Posted 2004) [#10]
3Impact uses ODE (Open Dynamics Engine), just in case you guys didn't know. Someone is also creating a wrapper DLL to use ODE within Blitz3D but I can't seem to find the thread at the moment.