COBRA

Community Forums/Developer Stations/COBRA

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi I just posted this on BlitzCoder, But i know alot of people don't go around there, so Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

from the convosation I was having with the guy whos making it, COBRA is a completely new programming language. Some Details:

Syntax
The syntax from what I saw is very similer to blitz, and wouldn't be difficult to port over games to COBRA. Fluke mentioned its abit more like Pascal or python (can't remember which one), but I only really know 'basic' code, and I could understand what the commands did

RunTime
The runtime speed is said to be similer to blitz, faster in some areas and slower in others, but as its not finished yet, it will probably speed up abit etc. The basic 2D commands can run in windows without any version of direct x or special hardware. I think the 3D is all based on OpenGL

2D
It will very similer 2d functions in 2d games as blitzbasic/blitzplus, but it does have a skinable GUI system , Per-Pixal alpha and most probably lots of other stuff

3D
The 3D stuff is were I took more intrest in, and this is probably why I will buy it when it comes out, all blitz style stuff plus:

Dynamic Realtime Shadows (2 lines of code, define the lights and objects)
Dynamic per object and per vertex collisions
Normal Mapping
Spec Mapping
Pixel Shaders
Bump Mapping

Same network features as blitz, TCP and UDP.

one of the initial 3D model formats will be a modded half-life format, but he might consider putting .b3d in, so stuff can be ported easyly.

Basically this is what everyone who loves blitz3D wants, rather than having to go blitzmax.

I hope this information is correct, it got pretty loud, I think George was doing some MC'ing at the time, so some of it might be made up. Also as it developes things change etc.

I hope that there will be some nice demos on the CD. Also I hope this gets marketed well, and backed up with alot of media and stuff, such as the Dark Basic selling method.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sounds interesting. When's the CD coming out?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sounds very interesting

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well he said about a year, but probably abit longer. I would assume though it will be out before BlitzMax has a full 3D engine.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#5]
Links?

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#6]
I don't think there are any web pages for it yet. It was quite a surprise last night.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#7]
I did a search last night - no hits.

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#8]
Why the hell did he named it COBRA? There is allready a language called CORBA, so mixing it up is very easy. Just do a google search for COBRA and you will see what I mean.

Do you know if it is compiled or is it an interpreted language? Not that I care but I'm curious.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#9]
This should have been posted in the 'Competitive Products' forum.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
Why the hell did he named it COBRA? There is allready a language called CORBA, so mixing it up is very easy. Just do a google search for COBRA and you will see what I mean.

There's even another not-very-well-known language called COBRA too. He's not exactly going out of his way to make his product stand out, huh?

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#11]
yeah COBRA is in my OOP Java book
i just skipped over that part because
it said the compilers and stuff for COBRA
were very expensive....

namar777(Posted 2004) [#12]
Any demos. Excited about this release.