Argh! Terrain!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Argh! Terrain!

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
Among the most complicated issues I have been through are level building - but I have narrowed it down. I will use Maplet for most of my indoor levels, and maybe model buildings with Milkshape.

Though I can't figure out what to use for terrain. I've tried Total Terrain, though the heightmaps load into Blitz weird. I've tried CLE, but I can't figure out how to paint maps.

I'm not going to ask what is the best - but what do YOU use?

morduun(Posted 2004) [#2]
I use either Wilbur (for planet maps) or Bryce (for regular terrain maps) to create heightmaps, and Bryce for the colormap.

I also use a custom lib to load in heightmaps as segmented meshes instead of using the default Blitz terrains, but that's largely personal preference; Blitz terrains can be sufficient depending on your needs.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Bryce 4 is currently on the front of 3DWorld magazine in the UK - in case any of you missed this!

IPete2.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#4]
I don't live in the UK, but Bryce sounds good.

Does anyone use Geoscape3D?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
I found the Bryce *5* website, but I can't find Bryce 4. Is Bryce made by DAZ Productions?

morduun(Posted 2004) [#6]
DAZ markets it now; it was originally made by MetaCreations, who folded, and then bought by Corel, who's since sold it off to DAZ. If you can 4 on a coverdisc for free it'll be all you really need for this (hell, if you can get 3 or even 2 it should suffice).

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#7]
CLE and FLE are dead simple to use. I'd encourage spending some more time with them.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#8]
seriously??
bryce 4 for free!!!
no way!!!! i need that!!!!!!!
its 85$ and i was gonna get
it for christmas! wait... only uk magazine?
... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
>:( curses!!!!

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#9]
Actually, I found a download site with it listed as freeware, but the only mirror was broken.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yes, that's the mirror I found. I did find the CSP Terrain Builder - and I think this is what I'll use from now on. The only problem is that it only exports to .trn.

Does anyone know where I can get Bryce 2 or 3? or even Bryce 1? I'll do a Google search.

Does anyone use Geoscape3d?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#11]
I hear Bryce 2 was very unstable, so you don't want that :)

N(Posted 2004) [#12]
I use Wings3D for making terrain.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#13]
I WANT BRYCE!!!

Hmmm....I sent an email to that broken mirror - maybe they'll fix it - I hope so....hmmm....

Does anyone use Geoscape3D?

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#14]
I've tried Total Terrain, though the heightmaps load into Blitz weird.

Could you elaborate? I might be able to help (and it would be useful to know). It might help to know, that TT works at a much higher resolution than a greyscale heightmap (only 256 different heights), so if you export to heightmap and then load it into Blitz it might appear a little more blocky.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#15]

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#16]
@mrtricks:
The heightmap appears very low. Hills that look huge in TT look like slight humps in BB. And the colormap is a bit blurry once exported.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#17]
The size issue is simply a matter of scaling the terrain... When you import a terrain it defaults to a size of (bitmap width) units X (bitmap height) units X 1 unit high. Just use ScaleEntity terrain,x,y,z to size it how you like.

Not sure about the colourmap thing - should export exactly as you see it in TT. Maybe it looks funny because of the scaling?

Let me know how you get on...

Garion(Posted 2004) [#18]
Here is a link to 3D World Website for those that are interested in Bryce 4.

http://www.3dworldmag.com/default.asp

It should be possible to order a copy of the mag both for home and abroad.

Also, yoo may get the mag before its avalable in the US, Oz etc.

Cheers

Garion

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#19]
its available in the us?
never even heard of it!

Garion(Posted 2004) [#20]
its available in the us?
never even heard of it!

I believe Barnes and Noble Stock it.

Cheers

Garion

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#21]
seriously?????
im going there today! or tomarrow!
im getting my copy of 3d world!
and bryce 4! no matter what!

Garion(Posted 2004) [#22]
Be aware that the Issue at Barnes and Noble may be an earlier one, I do not know the time delay between publishing in the UK and it arriving in the US.

Maybe yoo can order the issue from them.

Cheers

Garion

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#23]
ordering the issue from 3dworld
is $99 subscription and i cant find
a way to get a single magazine...
and i'm 14 so im not spending $99 on
a magazine...
i look at B&N multiple times every
3 weeks maybe... you cant see magazines
at their webpage...

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#24]
I bought the newest version from daz, bryce this is and have never used it but I might oneday

My qestion is now, some one said they used somethign custom for loading hightmaps, is it availble to get/buy?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#25]
I used FLE for the terrain image I posted in the Gallery.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#26]
I found 3DWorld at B&N, but it was the December issue. Anyone know where I can get the older issues?

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#27]
i got there last week and it was some other issue. did it have the shark tale movie on the front? and on the cd there were 500 textures right? thats what i saw there.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#28]
Yep - that's exactly what I saw.

I need the November Issue.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#29]
yup. That's it.
I NEED the November Issue.

Chad(Posted 2004) [#30]
Try E-bay

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#31]
I FOUND IT!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#32]
Bryce 4 ROCKS!

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#33]
where did you get it?
You're soooooo lucky...

Still can't find it anywhere... oh well... I got Paint Shop Pro 9 and Cartography Shop 4 for Christmas... I'm happy :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#34]
I want Photoshop.

And it is the December Issue - issue #59 - it just arrived at B&N.