Problem with Ultimate Unwrap

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Problem with Ultimate Unwrap

JKP(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, I'm having a problem texturing a tree in Ultimate Unwrap. Basically I have two surfaces, one for the trunk and one for the leaves. I want the leaves to be full bright and have backface culling disabled but I don't wan't those settings applied to the trunk as well. When you export to B3D you can only choose these options for the whole mesh, not individual surfaces. What should I do?

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#2]
back face culling??

you'd add two materials....one for leaves, other for trunk.

Leaves ones surely you want to have them with an opacity map (grey scale bmp , extracted from the selection channel, for example) , and the texture map. You can add specular, emissive and other values as you prefer to the leaves material, and other settings and other textures to the bark/trunk material.

i don't know is how this is supported by blitz and b3d format.
I only speak in 3d, in general

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#3]
Seperate the tree into 2 meshes, so you can apply the different EntityFX to each part on its own.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Get B3D Tweak. It's great for doing stuff like applying brushFX settings individually for each surface of a b3d models.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#5]
yeah I second B3D tweak. I find that very usefull for swapping around brush and texture FX

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
JKP

The 2 meshes option's probably the best. You can also export as multiple meshes (into one B3d file), use loadanimmesh and find the leaves as a child entity.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#7]
I would get B3D Tweak if I could spare the cash. But it seems a bit expensive for what it is, especially considering UU itself is only twice as much.

Exporting as two separate meshes could work, but ideally I wanted to be able to load the tree without using any special handling code. I also think that it would probably be slower than using a single mesh. Then again I could probably code something to combine the leaves from all the trees into a single surface. Maybe I'll try to use the b3d save function in the code archives to load the tree and change the appropriate flags.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#8]
Have you tried using the Brush commands (GetSurfaceBrush, BrushFX etc.) to set the two surfaces to use the required FX?

JKP(Posted 2004) [#9]
I tried that with something else a long time ago and I found that the indexes for the surfaces kept randomly swapping over so I couldn't reliably texture the correct parts.