CSP Game Engine

Community Forums/Developer Stations/CSP Game Engine

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
Has anyone got around to buying it?

I'm just wondering what we get and how we use it.

Is it just a collection of a bunch of functions, or is it an actual program?

And what is in the Model pack thing?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
I suggest to read everything first before you ask here: EULA, Product Philosophy, Product Description at Shareit etc. I think it describes it well.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
I could find everything but the model pack discription

looks good, BTW, jfk

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks. The model pack is not required by the engine product. It may be useful, but the Engine comes with a lot of media content. Some of the engine products media is also part of the media pack. Unfortunately I first associated the Model Pack with the Engine product (to be listed on the same page), but then I removed it cause I found it was confusing, but it seems the Shareit Servers need some time to update this.

Anyway, the Media Pack is described here: http://www.melog.ch/shop/ipack1/

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
You are selling the engine for an "insanely" cheap price.

Wasn't it originally going to sell around $50?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
well 29 is around 50, no? At least it's closer to 50 than then unreal engine. And it's even closer to 50 than those for 99$ and WOW even closer than those that are completely for free :)

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
WOW even closer than those that are completely for free :)

Now who doesn't love something that's closer to $50 than free? ;)

Zethrax(Posted 2004) [#8]
I bought JFK's model pack 1 a while back. Well worth the money, even if you only use it for placeholders. Lots of nice drums, crates, furniture, guns, plants, etc.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks :) The engine has also a lot of stuff btw. It even contains an exlusive new Leatherglove Gunhand Texture that wasn't seen in any demo yet ;)

danjo(Posted 2004) [#10]
i think digital's original question wasnt that bad. i read what you have put on the site, and really, you say its an engine.
it doesnt really say what we're getting into if we were to buy it.
is it a FPS template for example, with a set of functions added for it, so we can then access to create our own FPS.
Also - how much work are we actually getting?
is it a matter of setting up our own levels, change some parameters and away we go?

btw the price is nice. but i too would like to know how much of an engine are we getting?.
i saw an early demo and havent got round to looking at the last ones, (56k) :( - but a demo of the FPS could really relate to anything..

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
you really need to spend 30 minutes to download the latest demo 5 if you seriously think about to spend several months with creating a full game.

Since the creation of good Game Content takes enormous amounts of time, this isn't a little click-some-pixels-together thing.

For example when I played NOLF 2 recently that is using a Million license engine of Monolith, I had to say that eg. the underwater FX of that engine was simply looking poor compared to mine.

But of course, this engine is a simple one. If it was better than Monolith, I wouldn't sell licenses for 29$. Try the demo.

If you read everything carefully, you'll get an idea of what you'll get for the money. The product contains everything you need to create singleplayer games but it does not include the media editors like 3D modelers, animators, uvmappers, soundeditors, graphics editors, music software etc. It contains the Level Assembler und a Tool for the NPCs as well as a detailed Documentation and a lot of Media that may be used (eg. the weapons).

Read the Product Philosophy Article on the "Purchase" Page as well as the Eula and the Product Description on the Shareit Page (I guess I said that right before).

And anyway I wanted to open my own Thread for this, not in Other tools.

From the Shareit Product Page:

This is a single Player Game Engine for FPS Games Designers for Win32 DirectX 7 and higher. No programming is required. 3D Modeling Tools are not part of this Product. No further Royalty Fees must be paid. This Product can be used for one Game Release, including Demos, Teasers, Updates, additional Levels and Patches.

To be able to use this Game Engine for the Creation of full Games, good Knowledge and Skills in 3D Design, Animation and Games Design in general is required. For more Information about the Engines Features visit official CSP Game Engine Homepage, it also offers the latest Game Demo and the complete End User License Agreement as well as a Forum with a FAQ Section. The Product includes the Game Engine Binary, the Toolset and the complete Documentation as well as a Download Link to a Demo Package that acts as the Media Basement

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
It's funny, a lot of people continously asked me when I am gonna release this but now nobody buys it. Anyway, I do my own game with it too.

EDIT
Now 5 days after the release I didn't sell a single copy. I take this as a clear sign and stop this product. Feels way to silly to wait for crappy 29$.

Uh, however.

BTW. I don't "give up", I just decided not to give it away - you unworthy heathen :P ... ;) .

Panno(Posted 2004) [#13]
ach JFK ! Geduld !!!

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#14]
Although I do not have CSP and am unlikely to purchase it in the near future, I may consider it when/if I decide to do a FPS game. A good tool can save you so much time (eg. TerraEd has saved me LOADS of time and produces results much better than I could have achieved), so I think people should be given as much 'chance' to buy it as possibe (as it may result in some nice games).

So, even though not 'immediatly' interested in this tool, I looked upon it with interest for the future. Although I got a good idea of what it 'probably' is, I too would feel uneasy about parting with my cash as the product was still a bit unclear to me. For example, how much freedom does the developer have, or conversely (as they as usualy inversely related to each other), how much work do 'I' have to put in.

JFK, maybe you should release a sample 'ini' file or something, letting people see how things are done. Obviously the file will not work on its own, but perhaps you could say 'this bit of the file creates the blah blah you see in the demo' or 'this is how you would create a NPC' etc etc.

Just a thought. I expect a LOT of work has gone into this, and thats work that others do not need to do again - for what seems a very reasonable price.

Also, I presume Blitz3D is not required to use CSP?? If that is the case, have you advertised beyond the Blitz community?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#15]
I'll probably buy it, or at least the model pack. It looks well-done, but I think you should give people the source to the 5 demos, without the engine included, so we would know how exactly we could use it. Much like the "Particle Candy" demos.

Anyway, it looks very nice.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#16]
Right, there is no Source. It's an engine Binary. I can't release the souce, it IS the engine, once compiled. There is no other source.

Digital Fortress, I guess your 3D experience would maybe be too low to handle this beast, so you better don't buy it yet. No offense.

Additionally I have to say, the Product has it's own Forum, where these things can be discussed.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#17]
I have more experience than others, or I guess you couldn't call it "experience," since I've only been using Blitz for 6 months, but I've got "knowledge."

Didn't you have source for "Broccoli Never Dies," or another one of your demos?

Don't you include the file "CSP.bb" or something of the sort and use its functions?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#18]
No, as i said, it's an engine, not a library. As I said, I didn't want to scare you when I said I'm afraid you need more 3D experience for this. I just don't want you to be disappointed.

The Shareit Description says it clearly:
...To be able to use this Game Engine for the Creation of full Games, good Knowledge and Skills in 3D Design, Animation and Games Design in general is required....

Althouh there won't be any bullets orbiting around the NPCs here, I suggest to become a little more familar with Game Design in General. Of course, you could try it anyway, and even if I give a lot of support considering the low price, I may not be able to help you 24 hours a day to use this thing.

And as I said, please discuss these things on the Engines Forum: http://cspgames.proboards25.com

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#19]
It might actually have to do with your license that some people are not buying it.

"might get update"
"no sources" ( to do corrections and stuff yourself )

and that alltogether with a missing online doc or similar to show what actually is possible, how the commands look like

the whole thing does not make me feeling "cool that's it", a lot of unsureness etc in it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yes. Exactly.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#21]
It's a nice engine and for a great price. I don't think
the blitz forum is the best place to market it though.
You should try reality factory forums or other forums
for mod creators using other engines who want to branch
out.
The problem with selling on the bb forums is most everyone
is working on a current project and the only initial sales
you would get are those who aren't working on anything who
want to start a project with it. In the long run with
constant improvements it could become the defacto fps
engine for blitz3d.

Nice work

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#22]
Well, Dreamora, what do you expect for 29$ ? See it this way, it's a total risk investment. You may also wait some time and see if other customers are satisfied.

Or maybe you better get something else, eg. Torque, quickly learn C++ and then do it that way.

Ice9 - you're right, this was the wrong place and I already used to regret that I put it onto the news page. Not only because people want me to give away the source so they can remove the (hidden) copyright watermark and claim it their work, probably redistribute it for a lot of money (I've seen this, ppl are this way), but also because this is a coder community and the users don't like the idea to be designer only.

Well, if I am gonna get a hundred or so customers, I surely will make updates and add features. But if the total number is under say 5 license owners, I surely don't give any guaranty to deliver frequent updates. The EULA is only some kind of assurence for me, to be protected from agressive sucking behaviour.

Anyway, thanks for your positive critism.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#23]
I do expect at least a prove that it is an engine.

I was stupid enough to waste 50$ on MMORPG CE which was a large bunch of crappy programmed code which had actually NOTHING to do with an engine!

And I won't do that another time.
This is the same reason I am not buying Vivid. The docs are not finished, no real stuff and information around.

I don't buy "cats in bags" anymore, got tricked enough by TGC and some of their products ( DBP, CS ) to learn something of it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#24]
Well, it IS an egnine. It's a binary that is capable of loading multiple levels one after one. If you tried the demo 5, as I suggested, then you'd know what it is.

But you really don't have to buy it - of course not. There's no problem, I only released it for those who pleased me to do so, I don't expect to make a lot of money. In fact I coded a little app 2 days ago in a few hours that will pay me 1000$, compared to the 58$ I have already made with this engine product, for the work of two years...

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#25]
Ok you don't want to give any real information, I have to understand and accept that.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#26]
Yep.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#27]
You could modify it so you just load in a level mesh, load in a gun mesh, etc, and then no one would need any programming experience. Maybe the reason is that there are a lot of beginners out there, and they can't use it. And the advanced users don't use it because they don't really need it.

But most likely my philosophy is wrong over everyone else's. And on top of that, I can't even spell philosophy.

Aoneweb(Posted 2004) [#28]
Am I right in thinking that this engine is written in blitz, also are there docs to help when altering the engine to fit your project needs, it would help newbies get a head start and make the engine more sellable.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#29]
Exactly

Aoneweb(Posted 2004) [#30]
This seems like a good deal.

Rhyolite(Posted 2004) [#31]
Some of the questions are answered here

http://cspgames.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=discuss&action=display&num=1100784700

This is a post on the CSP forum which JFK directed people to. He appears to answer questions more helpfully if posted on the CSP forum!!

It looks very good for the price to me, although as I stated earlier, I am unlikely to be buying it in the foreseeable future. But I like to check out new tools (as they may be useful) and its always nice to see what other people are doing. Good work JFK - dont be offended by the comments here, people just wanted to know what your product was :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#32]
What would be cool if you could export your project as .BB code and modify it more specifically from there.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#33]
Rhyolite - thanks. You are absolutely right. I'd like to discuss this on the forum I mentioned.