Recommendations for 3D Texture Painting Software

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Recommendations for 3D Texture Painting Software

ahobbit(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm wondering what all of you would recommend for software/workflow for texturing 3D models. I'm would like to paint directly onto the 3D model if possible.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#2]
tatoo...link on tools forums...I think .

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#3]
Tattoo is free for non commercial stuff and pretty inexpensive for the commercial license too!

http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo

Tattoo development is currently on hold until I can do a more powerful BlitzMax version.

Other options:
PaintJob 3D (Search the forum for it.)
DeepPaint3D - Wickedly expensive, but very capable
BodyPaint2 - Wickedly expensive, but also very capable

ahobbit(Posted 2004) [#4]
Terabit, I thought I read somewhere about you rewriting Tattoo from scratch because of interface design issues. How's it coming? Are you very close to releasing a new version?

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#5]
You can handle it for painting as is now, as far as I remember...

Anyway, in my opinion, you'll end up mixing 2d editing with 3d paint. Is what i do and I own dp3d, so...

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#6]
@Gameboy

Not just yet. I've got a basic 3D engine running and a .B3D loader etc., but the GUI is a bit behind that. Since BlitzMax is still in beta, it's not possible to firm anything up yet. Tattoo (the Blitz3D one) as it stands is far from crippled. It does everything I originally intended it to do and more. But as you know expectations raise as the product develops (look at the way Blitz3D has grown over it's lifetime!).

When the BlitzMax version is put together I hope to build in a bit more headroom this time.

Bob3D is correct too. Mesh painting is very useful for getting the basics done, but a 2D package will almost always have more features and a greater degree of accuracy.

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#7]
Terabit wrote:

Since BlitzMax is still in beta

ACK!!!

I thought it that just the docs had to be finalized and then it could packaged and sold! Argh.

Anyway, Tatoo is very good program.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#8]
I have found Tattoo very useful... sure, it's not quite DeepPaint3D, but it's more stable and *a lot* cheaper too ;P

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#9]
ACK!!! I thought it that just the docs had to be finalized and then it could packaged and sold! Argh.

Don't panic it's just *my* perspective really. Tattoo is 3D based and that aspect of BlitzMax is not really well developed yet. Most other stuff looks ready to roll. But you already knew that. 8p

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#10]
I apologize for the english grammer problems.
My grammer ain't the goodest at 5am.

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#11]
BodyPaint 3D R2

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#12]
try some demos out, i use deep paint its solid and does what its supposed to, wish i had known about tattoo though

deep paint 3d
http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/download.php?prod=2

body paint
http://www.bodypaint3d.com/