My Person Wont Animate!!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/My Person Wont Animate!!

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have exported an animated person sawing some wood from 3ds to b3d. I load it in my game with LoadAnimMesh and animate it using the Animate command but still it loads by model with no animation. The only thing animating is a spot which Biped shows as the centre of balance.

HELLLLPPP!!
I have been trying many different ways of exporting, it plays fine in the b3d preview but i export it and load it in and what do you know its bloody still again.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
It would be much easier to answer your question if we knew how the character was rigged to the skeleton and how the model is being exported ( sounds like Pipeline but confirmation would be useful ) and perhaps the version of Max you're using.

The only thing I can suggest without knowing is that, AFAIK, Pipeline doesn't support Skin, only Physique. So if your character is rigged with skin, you'll either have to convert to physique or export another waY ( I used .u3d and Ultimate Unwrap to export models animated with the Skin modifier personally. )

Big&(Posted 2004) [#3]
You have to use FindChild.

If in Max the models skin is called "skin":

Bloke=LoadAnimMesh("bloke.b3d")
BlokeAnim=FindChild(Bloke,"skin")
Animate BlokeAnim,1,1,1

Its cause the Max exporter puts a Root node at the top of the hierarchy and the skin is below that.

As a side note, if you are using Character Studio and a Physique skin, it will have to be converted to a normal Max skin but you can get a free Max plugin for that.

Hope this helps.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#4]
THANKS SO MUCH BIG&!!!
I thought i was going to die, i had so much trouble with this project previously.
Isnt it funny how some people will tell you it cant be done tho.

:)