Video Capturing tools

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Video Capturing tools

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#1]
Thought you all would might like to know, if you don't already. I have found two programs that will allow you to capture your gameplay to video. One is called Game Cam, the other is called Fraps. Demos and info can be optained here:

http://www.fraps.com/
http://www.planetgamecam.com/

Game Cam seems to give the best overall performance of the two, but will not work with Blitz2D, only Blitz3D. It will also save in compressed .avi and .wmv formats.
Fraps will work with just about any DirectX and OpenGL programs, 2D and 3D, but it creates huge video files (which could later be compressed with another program) also it seems to kill the frame rate.

Try out the demos and see which work best for you. These programs would be great for adding to the Toolbox section as well.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#2]
fraps works but is too slow

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
fraps works but is too slow

Works fine here. I made my trailer with it and it barely skipped a frame.

I'll check out GameCam too though, as it is very cheap for the Lite version. Thanks for the pointer.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#4]
Fraps drops my framerate to about 15fps when capturing. However, I only tried the trial version of Game Cam so far which doesn't support audio (it only supports audio in the full versions) So I wonder if the audio might have something to do with the frame drop? I'm planning on getting Game Cam (looking at the full version, with CVR) so I might let you know just how well it works with audio.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#5]
the full version of fraps seems to be really quite good even on my old Athlon 1200 it does a remarkable job. A lot depends on how much stress your game puts on your video card as to the final capture rate though. I have an old Geforce 3 and it does ok.

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, I just tried fraps with audio capture disabled and it still killed the framerate. So I don't think it's an audio problem. Anyway, I'm off to register Game Cam, I'll let you know just how well the registered version works. :)

Edit: Ok, I have registered Game Cam. It works great. It doesn't work with Blitz2D applications, but will work with 2D on 3D, i.e. games that use the Graphics3D command instead of just Graphics command. I might upload some game caps to give you an idea of how well it works. BTW, my system specs:

ASUS A7N8X Motherboard
AMD Athalon XP 2400+ 2Ghz cpu
GeForce FX 5200 Video card 128meg ram
Creative Audigy LS audio card
512 meg system Ram
120GB hard drive

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#7]
I just tried gamecam and it works great

Don't run fraps from executed source code within blitz.
It totally fried the source code file.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#8]
wow, that's interesting...

so far, i've had no trouble at all with FRAPS...

those lil clips i made about the dot3 bumpmapping were all Blitz things done in the demo version of FRAPS...

and this is something else i just put together in FRAPS (my delusions of having a cinematic future) after seeing a video from the subsim site (the soundrtrack is not mine)

broadband user click --> http://home.att.net/~subbase2/EveningMass.wmv

dialup users right click and save target as for offline viewing (3.2MB)

--Mike

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#9]
thats pretty cool!
u makin a hunt for red october game?
i love that book! i just read it a couple of months ago and its my favorite book and the movie of it was pretty awesome too!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#10]
thx 'duck...

i'm making a sub sim, but not based on HFRO...

just trying my hand at making a movie... glad you liked it.

yeah, the movie was awesome.

--Mike

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#11]
Is FRAPS or GameCam something that only the developer can use, or can it be integrated into a Blitz app? What I mean is, I want to make an app where the USER can output an avi of their work.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#12]
Fraps is a program which pepole buy and record stuff, you can not implement it but as a developer I could imagine you could code in something which captures the screen buffer and writes it to a avi file.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yes, there is BlitzAVI but I don't think it has sound capture... do you mean program it within Blitz or as a DLL?

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#14]
Camtasia 3 is on the PCPlus cover cd this month, not sure if it does what you want but worth a look :)