Buying Milkshape

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Buying Milkshape

Gord(Posted 2004) [#1]
How do you buy Milkshape? Is it a download? Is iy available from a UK source? If not is the site secure with regard to credit card details?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Download only. Site is fine.
Buy it! It's really good!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thousands of people have bought Milkshape ( including me ) and yes, the payment provider they use is secure. It is indeed a very nice piece of software, and reminds me a lot of a cut-back version of 3dsMax.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think you can still pay by cash if you're worried about security. There is a form on the web site which you can print out and fill in. You have to post it all the way to Switzerland but it's hardly any more expensive than normal post.

Personally I really hate Milkshape and uninstalled it a while back. It's buggy, and one thing that really annoyed me was that you can't place bones in exact positions.

Now I use Cinema4D to do the modelling, then export the mesh to Ultimate Unwrap for texturing and placing bones. UU also supports quads and has very effective smoothing options. It has excellent support for the B3D format (including multiple uv sets) so I have no need for Milkshape.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well to be fair, Cinema4d isn't exactly in the same price bracket as Milkshape. I haven't checked prices, but it has to be comparable with Softimage and that sort of thing. Personally I found the very arbitrary limit on animation key frames the only real annoyance, but perhaps I wasn't pushing it too hard as I have 3dsMax for serious work.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#6]
I only have version 6 of C4D, and that's because it was free on a coverdisc. :-)

It's still got a lot more features than Milkshape, including NURBS. I think the latest version is version 9 and it's a lot more powerful than v6, but at £500 I don't think I'll be buying it any time soon.

Gord(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes version 6 of Cinema 4d is plenty good enough. Anyone know where I can get a written manual?

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#8]
i prefer silo

www.silo3d.com WELL worth the money. I have maya as well ad used 3dmax for years, but i do all my modeling in this. and only $109 or £60

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#9]
Wings3d rules it all...

One Ring to bring them all....

And at an unbeatable price... 0 bucks. :D

As we are considering modeller...without weights (the other day milkshape got updated...but yet no weights...they'r planned for 2.x) I can't even consider it. maybe those only interested in rigid robots, mechs, or HL1/counter strike mods...Indeed, for hl1 no weights limitation, ms3d is The Tool...

podperson(Posted 2004) [#10]
I wouldn't touch Milkshape today. Before Wings3d and Silo came out it might have seemed like a good deal.

clownhunter(Posted 2004) [#11]
I couldn't get it to work.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#12]
It is even now a good deal, otherwise GameSpace wouldn't use it as converter pipe ;)

And it is still the cheapest and most used app you can get and I think Milkshape 3D 2 will kick some asses when it comes out.

Running probs: First verions of V1.7 where buggy, but it is working again.

And the best -> straight work together with Character FX, the far cheapest model animation program you can get your hands on.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
"still the cheapest"

Well, it's obviously more expensive than Wings.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#14]
milkshape... you'll be happy you did...

--Mike

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#15]
Milkshape is good for its price and is what you just need to model.