Unreal Engine

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Unreal Engine

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
Where can I get Unreal Engine, and how much does it cost?

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Are you serious or just joking?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
I looked all over. I've been to just about ever Unreal site on the internet, but I can't find the cost.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#4]
licenseing for unreal engine here http://www.epicgames.com/licensing.html

Hope you got enough dosh. ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Think of it this way: you won't be able to afford it.

Now if you want an engine you can afford, there's a lot of them: Nebula 2, Axiom, OGRE (graphics engine), etc.

Oh, and don't get any ideas about using the Unreal Runtime release, you are not permitted to release anything made with/for it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
ok...

My teacher's husband makes games with Unreal, and he said it was not expensive. But now I guess you could say my search is over. :)

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
I think your teacher doesn't know what she (or he?) is talking about. It sounds like what he's doing is modifying (modding) the game (content)- because as most of us know, most if not all Unreal engine games have been released with the tools (or a promise was made by the company to release said tools) to mod it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah. Well, my teacher doesn't know anything about Unreal, she just suggested I get it. But it's somewhere around the lines of $400,000, so I don't think I'll be getting that anytime soon.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#9]
both wrong

Unreal 1 engine was released for free under a specific restriction:
Not allowed for commercial use
only allowed for educational stuff, NOT for games or similar

-> so the teacher can use it without any probs

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
Dreamora: Actually, I was referring to the current technology released. I don't follow what happens to the older tech.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
No - my teacher's *husband.* My teacher's husband does use it for commercial projects.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#12]
for non games it might be possible.
Will see if I find the page with the stuff on. It is just not permitted to create games with this version of the unreal 1 engine

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
I bet it's not only games but any commercial releases. They would be pretty stupid if they give it away for free.

Anyway, there are a couple of AAA Game engines that can be used for game releases under license. That's the idea of a game engine: The dev team releases a reference game and then sells licenses. Currently the best engines cost around 0.5 to 1.5 million $ per game release.
So you see, you only need to make something equally nice in blitz and there you go.

What your teacher does sounds pretty illegal, but who cares.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#14]
Digital,

'Seek not to know the answers... but to understand the questions.'

I don't know why everyone is saying don't do it.. You can use it none commercially, and you can learn a lot about the structure of Unreal and Unreal 2 engine.

Go to this web address and look around, there are plenty of tutorials and such here.

www.3dbuzz.com

You need to go to the downloads section and you will find all sorts of treasure there, including many tutorials for Unreal and Max and C++. You have to become a member to get the good stuff I think. But there is approximately 30 HOURS of video tutorials to get you deeply into Unreal. Quake Tutorials are there too, but I haven't looked at those yet.

The guys over at 3D Buzz were paid by Epic to do the tutorials, they are video tutorials and are very very very good, considering they are FREE - they are probably the BEST tutorials I have come across on the Net.

These guys even run a radio station featuring their work and have guests come along to discuss how to do stuff. They also have all the latest news of stuff happening in the world of 3D.

Brilliant!

Buy the game UT2004 and you have the basic engine. Download the stuff from epic games web site and use the tutorials on 3Dbuzz. The developer network is here - there's all you need to know and more, as long as you are tenacious enough to stick with it.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome

With the tools and the game you can write you own stuff, change things in the game, develop your own and see them all right on screen inside the engine, running beautifully.

All I paid for was the game UT2004, the rest was just, well, free downloads.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

IPete2.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#15]
wow - thanks!

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#16]
TORQUE Game Engine for $100, the game engine used in Tribes II. Highly Recommended!

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
TORQUE Game Engine for $100, the game engine used in Tribes II. Highly Recommended!

Horrible Art Pipeline!

You can get plenty of people to back that up.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#18]
IPete - I think you should say that it's strictly forbidden to sell a product that was made with the unreal engine. He may modify Levels (hence Modders) or create his own levels, he will not be allowed to sell them unless he purchases a publisher license. AFAIK he also isn't allowed to release a game (that includes the engine) for free.

It is a good way to learn something, if he's very talented, he may even find a job in the business (no illusions please), but it isn't an engine you can use to release your game to the public.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#19]
"Horrible Art Pipeline!
You can get plenty of people to back that up"

*me raises hand* On a completely unrelated note, where's Evak?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#20]
JFK,

Yeah I absolutely agree - I think I said it in my original post:

"You can use it none commercially, and you can learn a lot about the structure of Unreal and Unreal 2 engine."

But it is also quite clear in everything you read on the noted websites, the licenses are there to be seen.

I think the general negativity around this subject just needed clarifying. Unreal is available and tutorials are available, and it is useable (by that I mean not too difficult to understand how to use it).

You can learn a lot about exactly how it works. That is the reason I went looking for it, not to release my own games but to understand more about what you can do with a game engine as powerful as that.

A colleague of mine has the commercial lisence too, and he had offered me work if I could get around to understanding it. Time is just not on my side at the moment though and I cannot afford to learn on the chance of work - the time involved is immense, I'd have to learn for months before I was good enough to work professionally with the engine.

:)

IPete2.