open source editor, boned animation and terrain

Community Forums/Developer Stations/open source editor, boned animation and terrain

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#1]
http://www.phenomatics.com/opensource/

all it needs is a .b3d exporter

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Good find. I'll have to play with this. You can't swing your arms without hitting a free modeling tool, but tools for skeletal animation are rare and exotic beasts.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yep, and look well at those shots, jhocking...
I have spoke with the author..in algorythm says there's joint pinning..have replied back asking if that means u have it there...No ik, but fk, and maybe if understood well, joint pinning.That an FK is enough for me.

I have no personal interest, but for friends using open source engines and the open format cal3d.Which is what it outputs.

The controls seem to be done veru nicel for bone -kindda envelopes- or vertex level..but only guessed from screens, as u need to download the jdk 1.5 and certain java3d version.

I have xsi, so don't have so much interest, besides I can only us *.x, exports.

But yet so...nice thingie for open source people..

(or anyone able to do the coding loader , the cal3d loader for his/her engine)

yep, they're rare beasts....

Blender did more or less for me.But i wanted more, and wasted the bucks ;).

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#4]
((adds new link to ever increasing list of open source apps))

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
I wish you could get that terrain plugin!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#6]

tools for skeletal animation are rare and exotic beasts.

yep, they're rare beasts....

How dare you call my app a beast :)

http://www.goddysey.com/pacemaker.htm

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#7]
rare ... don't know ... CharacterFX?
Old and well known in the modder community due to its straight connection to Milkshape3D

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#8]
I have animated with Character Fx and Blender...for now, I prefer Blender. I can at least fake a joint pinning with it...and over all it, I prefer XSI. :]

I have not tested Pacemaker. but the deal sounds very good; free for 1500 maximum tris models is quite generous. I just haven't tested. :)

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#9]
well, what I don't know yet is if I prefer XSI to Character Studio...not enough knowledge of XSI to say that...I mean, I know the basic stuff, which is mainly what has CFX, but much better.... Once in higher levels, comparisons are tougher to do...