Alpha Channels in X or B3D from MAX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Alpha Channels in X or B3D from MAX

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have been trying to create an old fence made on sticks for Blitz3D and i found modeling the sticks one by one, looks awesome, but sucks fps like i drink coke. Has anyone found a way of exporting a plane with an alpha channel to a b3d file? I have tried this over and over again but dont seem to be having much luck.

Any one out there that can help?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I don't know exactly how the exporting is done (I don't use 3D Studio Max,) but I do know for a fact that the b3d file format supports alpha transparency. Note that alpha transparency is only supported in Blitz via TGA or PNG file format, and the alpha channel must be part of the same image file as the color image (as opposed to a separate greyscale image for the alpha.)

Hopefully someone knowledgable with B3D Pipeline will pipe up.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ahhhhhhh. I have been trying to use a different image as the alpha channel. I'll give it a go using a TGA or PNG.
Thanks heeeeeeeeps jhocking!

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ok i tried it using a PNG with an alpha channel, but it still comes up as a solid plane. Any other suggestions?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
Could you be more specific than "tried it?" What exactly did you do?

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ok, i made a picture in photoshop with a squiggle on a transparent background and saved it as a PNG with an alpha channel. Then in max i applied the png i created to a sphere in the diffuse colour slot. I then tried exporting it to b3d and it showed a sphere with a white background and a squiggle on it. I then tried putting it in the opacity slot too but got the same result. I have also tried ticking and unticking the premultiplied alpha channel button but still i get a sphere with a white background with a green squiggle. What program do you use to model in? Is there another program that i can use that will get the job done?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well, it sounds like you created the image correctly. Looking at the B3D Pipeline website, I think you need to use a special material that's part of the plugin, not a default material type. Have you looked in the documentation? It's at www.onigirl.com/pipeline ; look in the index/contents for B3D Map.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#8]
YES!!
Thanks for your help Joe, i have looked at the help and found that i am using the wrong material type. I apparently need to use a Blitz3D Material. I have just tried it and it works perfectly.
Thanks for all your help.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#9]
Ah, the sweet feeling of getting something working.