Gile\CShop

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Gile\CShop

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello

I purchased Cartography Shop 4.1 and I must say I am happy .
I have read a lot of favourable opinions about Giles.
Since also CS supplies a light mapper, can I expect a significant advantages to have both?

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, I think even halo himself ( The maker od Cshop) will agree that Giles is currently the best lightmapper available.

Theres no harm in having both. You could use Cshop for your levels and then use Giles to lightmap the sene to brilliance.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#3]
there is even a GLS exporter for cartography shop which is really needed as CS exports only flat geometry which is next to unusable for real usage

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
Gile[s] blows away anything else I've ever used. CShop certainly has it's uses for building basic geometry fast, but Gile[s] has to be the best choice for lightmapping, and as the others said, there's an exporter for GLS now, which acknowledges that it's a popular combination.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#5]
I recommend getting both. In fact, I am using Gile[s] to create shadow maps for staticmeshes, which are displayed in CShop, and then CShop calculates the whole map lighting.

I am probably adding radiosity rendering in CS5, but Giles is the best thing for lighting individual meshes and arbitrary geometry. CShop is better for lots of large geometry, if you build the map in it.