Playstation and others

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Playstation and others

semar(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm quite impressed about the graphics capability of dedicated game hardware like Playstation and Xbox, just to name a few.

I wonder, is there any way to program such beasts ? Is there any SDK available ? Which language is used to code such machines ? Is anybody out there which has already such skill, and be so kind to give me some impression ?

Sergio.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#2]
You have to get a license for xbox, nintendo, etc. before you can buy an SDK from them. They require a statement, and some sample programs, games before they fork over a license.

I'm right now in the process of trying to get a license for Gameboy Advance.

There are plenty of freeware programs that will allow you to program many game systems usually with C/C++ or a hybrid language.

For the GBA for example there is a program called HAM and VisualHam which allows you to program your own GBA games and compile them as roms and test them on an emulator. It uses a Visual C++ type interface and command set.

People who have flashcards (gba) can download your roms and download them onto the card and play them on their gba anywhere.

On other systems like xbox, etc. you will need a modchip to play non-license or many people use this stuff to play copied games.

Modchips can run from 15 to 60 bucks usually. You can buy a pretty sweet Xbox fully pre-modded with an extra big harddrive for like 400 bucks.

check it out here:
http://www.modchipstore.com/product_16167_Brand_NEW_Platinum_Xbox_Customized_Console_w__120_GB_HD.html

One good thing about an xbox modchip/system is that you don't need a dvd card installed on it to play dvd's.

Other systems like Xbox, etc. have similar freeware programs availiable as well as communities that support them.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#3]
truespace 3.2 is free and has a .rsd (playstation) export option...

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#4]
get the ps2, get the linux kit.

full linux pc, full (some restrictions) ps2 sdk

can't beat it.

semar(Posted 2004) [#5]
@all,
thanks for the precious info and comments.

Seems to me that there's no other language than C++ to code a playstation/xbox/GBA, but Ham and VisualHam (for GBA) - which are both - as far as I understand - kind of C++ too.

@theduck,
About Truespace, that is only a 3D modeller, so the export .rsd has nothing to do with programming, right ? Or am I missing something here ?

@Loonie,
I guess the same language (C++) is used with your Linux solution, right ?

Sergio.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#6]
You could probably use a different program to convert your models to rsd. There is a multitude of various 3rd party conversion tools.

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#7]
semar: i think it's actually C...maybe sprinkled with C++...and some asm

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can program for GBA in Basic if you want. I haven't used it though, so don't take this as any kind of recommendation.

http://www.jm-basic.com/dragon/index.php

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#9]
Humerous timing. He just announced that he's shutting it down.

http://www.jm-basic.com/forum/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=181

Too bad. It looked like a good GBA programming tool.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#10]
ham/vis ham is very good. i've used it. VisualHam is just an ide for ham like vis blitz. both free.