Best Modeler

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Best Modeler

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
What's the best modeler out there for Blitz3D? I've heard of Wings3D and Milkshape. Which is better and which has more tutorials?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
"Better" is a relative term, and any opinions are quite arguable. I much prefer Wings for modeling, but it doesn't do texture mapping or animation, plus it doesn't export to b3d. Milkshape supports that stuff, although there are other tools available that are better for those tasks (which is why I would recommend them over Milkshape.)

That said, Milkshape has WAY more tutorials than Wings, so if you define "better" as "easier to learn" then Milkshape is better.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Personally I don't get on with Wings, so I personally I'd go for MilkShape. Maybe you should take a peek at blender too, again, I don't get on with it, but you might.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#4]
Best free one is prolly Wings3d.

Its a bit of a unusual interface but eh.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#5]
My fav is Wings3d...

And I have no probs in modelling or understanding the ui either with Blender, Milkshape, Max, Metasequoia, Amorphium, Zbrush, hamapatch, etc...All what moves a vertex will serve you, basically. None of those is bad. I may not agree with the UI implementation, except Meta and Wings (though I've proposed some changes to make em even better) but they're way good to do everyday work. It's strongly proved.

Just you need to see which one makes you feel comfortable at first, as the beguinings are hard, better make it enjoyable. Once u use more UIs, and most of all do a lot of 3d, you find UIs can be used no matter how werid they are ;)

There's people that can't do without nurbs, for example, and they just use rhino... or a patch softare like spatch or hamapatch, or maya.

Is like buying a pair of gloves. You need to test them, and what goes ok for you girlfriend wont suit ur hands... :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
gameSpace has no words in its UI

RiverRatt(Posted 2004) [#7]
Milkshape is the best for learning becouse it imports/exports makes lanscapes, and animations so for 40 bucks its a good deal. Wings is great too but its not a multitool like milkshape. I like and use both the same.
Until I can uford 3d studio or softimage.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
It really depends on what you use it for. EG I still use Maplet for the Building. An old Version of 3DSMAX for detailed stuff and chars, CFX to animate and Lithunwrap to UV-Map textures. Sometimes I even use Blitz itself as a Modeller, eg. to create and save those "sunbeams in the air" meshes as .B3D files. As well as for Trees. Or lately FLE for Terrain stuff.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
Where can I get Lith Unwrap?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Normally for Freeware downloads first ask Yahoo.com, google.com ,then us.

Here's one URL you can get it, the Serious Sam Modding community seems to use it as well:
http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#11]
Its a shame that the link you give and yourself don't provide a link to his latest version which he sells for a reasonable price:
http://www.unwrap3d.com/

LithUnwrap evolved into Unwrap3D.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#12]
he's preparing a new beta... yay!

I am really curious about it. :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#13]
I thought Lith and Unwrap3D were two different things - but I was specifically asking for LithUnwrap - it is free, and I had already tried out Ultimate Unwrap.