PaintShop Pro speed?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/PaintShop Pro speed?

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've just been trying out the demo of PaintShop Pro and...

....the brushes in it seem to be terribly slow. I tested it on a new highend machine 3ghz or so with a 2k image, and the rastar brushes make polygon lines when you do a fast (or even not so fast) stroke. They could at least have interpolated the points with splines. The Art material brushes, do manage to make smooth curves, but lag way WAY behind the mouse pointer. Is it supposed to be like that? Is it only ment for adjusting photos, and not actually drawing in?

I did a quick comparison with ArtRage, and was unable to get polygony lines, no matter how fast I drew! Same with ComicWorks, though openCanvas did get poly lines if I drew fast enough (a lot faster than in PaintShop). Heck, even the paint app in Squeek worked smoother. :) Actually, ComicWorks is the one I feel by far the most comfortable drawing in, except it's only made for doing high res b&w work.

Anyone using PaintShop Pro...and does it work well. How is the speed for you?

Ragnar

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think I remember your pc is 700hz or something...that combined with a fragmented hd, win9x, even worse ME, instead of NT or xp (I don't like 2000) , could be seriously damaging the stroke response. I noticed at jobs that hardware and OSes are totally key for good wacom response.

In my PIV 2.4, 512 ram, gfti4200 128mb , I draw perfectly with several firefox windows, a modeller, and whatever more opened, no poly lines, no loss.

can be how you have your system configured, or u may have a component terribly slow. My advice: carry the wacom to a friend's home having an XP and a PiV, install there, and ensure no fragmented disk, etc. I use to set up swap file in other partitions, too.

What i can say, power and speed of cpu has a lot to say. but also disk, as win oses are strongly based on that.
NTW and xp will give a load better response, also.

I worked every day in 3 companies, using my intuos 12x12. Never a problem with that, using Painter7, PS, Pixia, Open canvas.

Just to mention that you're suffering innecesarily, unless you're really in a position you can't buy better hardware..but if u can, u'll have a much more enjoyable experience with the wacom ;) :)

BTW, I never like PSP for drawing...in one pixel size, smooth brush, it does not antialias...is good for pixel work, but in ps u can set pencil or brush for that....

IMO, PS is best all around tool, allows also quite a lot of drawing...but the feel I have with open canvas, i have with none, having painter 7 coming close.
So, with good strong todays hardware, you'd see what i mean with open canvas :)
even with the beta . Probably the beta 0.71 is less bloated and quicker, I dunno.

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's true that my old box at home is a Dual PIII 733mhz, with 512mb RAM and GeForce4ti 128mb (yep, the grapihcs card is a bit of an overkill compared to the rest). But this time I wasn't testing it on my home machine, but on my work one which is a brand new AMD Athlon 64, GeForce FX 5900XT, 2 gig RAM...and only installed a couple of months ago with Win2K. I run Win2k at both home and work (wouldn't touch ME with a 10 foot pole...and kind of sceptical about XP, NT was nice if you didn't mind not being able to play any games on it).

Maybe I should run some speed tests on this box, maybe it has some bottlenecks that are slowing it down...or maybe PaintShot doesn't like Athlon processors. As for the home box, I've kind of been considering getting a new one. But just keep prostponing it. I actually love having 2 processors, as the Windows remains responsive even if I'm doing something that would normally use up all the processing power (such as rendering). Most software I have doesn't support dual processors, but it's kind of nice to be able to blast away in Soldat without any slowdown while waiting for a rendering. :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and for consistently poiting out nice inexpensive software options. Photoshop may be a very nice package, but there are lot of other tools out there too.

Ragnar

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
wouldn't touch ME with a 10 foot pole
I wouldn't touch you with a 10 foot pole either. ;P

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#5]
:P

Ok...I stuck my foot in that one.