General Tools

Community Forums/Developer Stations/General Tools

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have my Compiler/IDE (Blitz3D), my Modeler(AC3D), but I need an animator and a texture program. I'm thinking of buying CharacterFX and UUW3D, plus Particle Candy. Is this a good setup, or some horribly stupid that you died as soon as you read it?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Those are my recommendations for low cost texture and animation tools. I use both. Actually, I recommend Ultimate Unwrap for anybody, not just people looking for low cost tools. I routinely use Ultimate Unwrap even though my main modeling/animating tool is Maya.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#3]
yep UU if u wanna do 3d. Whatever it is :D But specially games.

cfx rocks for animations. Blender could do, too, but yet is a bit in baby stage in terms of bones export. Though, with Ultimate Unwrap u'll be able to open x files, so grab Blender files. But yep, is not a tool I recommend too quickly to every user...I like it , though.(you can do a complex tick to make a faked joint pinning, not possible with CFX or milkshape)

I may add giles to that setup: good lightmaps are cool :)

And Gimp for windows 2.0x, which is free, for 2d: UI and textures, + anything 2d.

That's a nice set, and quite cheap for what it offers. :)

(cfx 15$, uu 40$ if I remember well, giles 50$)

Blender, Metasequoia, Wings3d , Gimp are free.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
CFX is nice, but there is also the free Pacemaker, just search the forum. It's written in Blitz and can do nice animations.

UU is the state of the art UV Unwrapper, a thing you need these days, and AFAIK the only tool that is capable of importing an animated B3D file and edit the UVs, or save it as something else.

UU is the sequel of Lithunwrap 1.3, that was freeware too, but it lacks of several features found in UU.

Particle Candy is nice, but maybe not THAT essential. Maybe you should also think about B3D Tweak Utility, Gile[s], Milkshape.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#5]
For the extra $15, I think CFX is worth it. And Particle Candy doesn't cost that much. AC3D is what's going to cost me. And I think UU is $30. So that makes a $50(AC3D)+$15(CFX)+$30(UU3D)=$95. Wow. That's more than I expected. Oh well....

I didn't know Blender could Animate!

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#6]
You could perfectly save the ac3d 50$, which indeed is a bunch of $.

Just use Wings3d and/or Metasequoia LE, and you're set....

yup, cfx really worth the 15$...

yup, pacemaker perhaps is a good thing, 1,500 tris model only , but is free....Anyway, with Character Fx I have made 10,000 triangles animated models, as it has no kind of tris limit other than what your own PC hardware(cpu, card, etc) can eat... ;) ;) ;)

1500 tris is a bit outdated polygon count for fps non crowded games. But in Blitz, is not yet that high.

Anyway, I don't like having limits..

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'll look into Wings....