Silo 3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Silo 3D

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#1]
I couldn't justify XSI just yet, so I just bought Silo 3d (www.silo3d.com)

I have already got some nice models into blitz with it, I was wondering if anyone else has bought it?

Going to do the art for my game with:

Silo3d (modeling)
Pro Pixal (textures, I only need simple ones)
CharacterFX (animation)
ultimate unwrap (unwrapping and conversion)

So hopefully I will be good to go, and sell this game to buy all the tools I need to make a much prettyer game.

I won't be on the net for a few weeks, as I am going back to uni and dont' know how long it will be until we get a net connection put in, gives me some time to work on my game i suppose.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
Your art stuff looks very similar to mine ;)

Silo3D ( Modeling )
Photoshop 6 + Texture Maker ( Textures )
CharacterFX ( Animations. Not really needed in my actual project )
UltimateUnwrap ( unwrapping, texturing and B3D conversion )

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#3]
yea, i would like to get PS commercially, older versions are quite cheap on ebay.

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#4]
Just checked out the Silo3d home page. The Iso lines function sounds brilliant, I've been wondering why other packages don't do the same. Why model on a cage around the subdiv model, when you can model on the surface of the model itself.

Ragnar

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#5]
maya allows you to model on the actual serface of a subd mesh, and go back into the cage to change stuff.

but silo is awsomely cool for the price

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have been using Silo for a while now. It is quite nice. The upcoming topology brush is going to be something to see I think.
M

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#7]
I am also a proud owner of Silo.. although, Im gonna buy 3DS Max 6 soonish..

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#8]
boomboom: I don't mean that you can model the surface while viewing it as a subdiv. From the screenshots of Silo3D, it looks lice the vertices you manipulate are actually on the surface where two lines (or isoparms) meet. Not like the stupid '0' you have hovering around the Maya subdivs. Having them actually on the surface is much more logical and easier to use...and I've never understood why other 3D apps haven't done it. Animation Master has it, but it uses a weird spline technology for modeling, so it's not the same.

Ragnar

BHoltzman(Posted 2004) [#9]
One of the tools I was playing with in XSI last night was a spine deformer. It's pretty cool in that you can take any polygon or nurbs surface and draw a line on it then use the spine deformer to move the surface around as you translate, rotate or scale the curve. Or you can use proportional modeling on the curve to just move parts of the curve with a falloff. It's not exactly like the Silo method but its somewhat similar. And it's really fun to work with, which is my favorite part about the whole thing.

Silo looks like a fun program to model with. Kinda' like ZBrush in some respects.